Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

Connect Lexmark wireless printer to Dell wireless laptop

Customer Question
I'm trying to connect my...
I'm trying to connect my Lexmark wireless printer to my Dell wireless laptop. I have a Netgear router.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/5/2009
Network Technician: Aaron P, Network Administrator replied 8 years ago
Aaron P
Aaron P, Network Administrator

Witch lexmark printer do you have ? And what Netgear router do you have?

Aaron P
Aaron P, Network Administrator

I have a Netgear Wireless N router WNR2000 and my wireless printer is a Lexmark 4850

• Green—Indicates that the printer is connected to a wireless network.

Wireless networking

Finding IP addresses
An IP address is a unique number used by devices on an IP network to locate and communicate with each other.
Devices on an IP network can only communicate with each other if they have unique and valid IP addresses. A unique IP address means no two devices on the same network have the same IP address.

How to locate a printer IP address
You can locate the printer IP address by printing out the printer network setup page. For more information, see “Printing a network setup page” on page 34.

How to locate a computer IP address
1 Do one of the following:
• In Windows Vista, click ?? All Programs ?? Accessories ?? Command Prompt.
• In Windows XP, click Start ?? Programs or All Programs ?? Accessories ?? Command Prompt.
2 Type ipconfig.
_
3 Press Enter.
The IP address appears as four sets of numbers separated by periods, such as 192.168.0.100.

Assigning an IP address
An IP address may be assigned by the network using DHCP. The print object, created at the end of the installation, sends all print jobs across the network to the printer using this address.

Many networks have the ability to automatically assign an IP address. Auto-IP is the ability for individual devices to assign themselves a unique IP address. Most networks use DHCP to assign addresses.

During the Direct IP printing installation of printer software, the IP address is visible in the printer list only as it is being assigned. The print object that is created in the Printers folder of the operating system will reference the MAC
address of the printer in the port name.

If the IP address is not automatically assigned, you can try manually entering an address after selecting your printer from the available list.

Configure IP address
If you have lost communication with the printer over a network, select Use DHCP to reestablish communication with the printer.
You must assign an IP address in any of the following situations:
• You manually assigned IP addresses for the other network devices.
• You want to assign a specific IP address.
• You move the printer to a remote subnet.
• The printer is listed as Unconfigured in the Configuration Utility.
Contact your system support person for more information.

Finding the signal strength
Wireless devices have built-in antennas that transmit and receive radio signals. The signal strength listed on the printer network setup page indicates how strongly a transmitted signal is being received. Many factors can affect the signal strength. One factor is interference from other wireless devices or even other devices such as microwave ovens. Another factor is distance. The farther two wireless devices are from each other, the more likely it is that the communication signal will be weaker.

Installing the printer on a network
Follow the instructions for the networking method you want to use. Make sure the selected network is set up and working properly, and that all relevant devices are turned on. For more information on your specific network, see your network documentation or consult the person who set up the network.

Sharing the printer on a network
Sharing the printer on the network (on the host computer)

Windows Vista users only:
1 For more information, see the setup information that came with your printer.
2 Click Start icon ?? Control Panel ?? Printers.
3 Right-click your printer icon, and select Sharing.
4 Click Change sharing options.
5 Click Continue.
36
6 Click Share this printer, and assign a name to your printer.
7 Follow the directions on the computer screen until installation is complete.

Windows 2000 or Windows XP users only:
2 Click Start ?? Settings ?? Printers.
4 Click Shared as, and assign a name to your printer.
5 Follow the directions on the computer screen until installation is complete.

Aaron P
Aaron P
Aaron P, Network Administrator