Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I have an iomega external drive model 31823700 and i need an…

Customer Question
I have an iomega...

I have an iomega external drive model 31823700 and i need an adapter to connect it to my new MacBook Pro. What kind of adapter should I get?

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your MacBook Pro?

10.13.4 and I need to connect via USB C

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your MacBook Pro?

I cannot find an adapter for the drive that will connect to the new USB C.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Do you want the serial number?

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Computer Hardware
5/30/2018
Computer technician: Moses C,
 replied 24 days ago
Moses C

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer premium service, thank you for utilizing this.
I will be assisting you to fix the issue you are having.

Is it eGo 500gb?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I do not know if it is an eGo 500 gb. I know that the model number is ***** and the S/N is YAFB312323
Computer technician: Moses C,
 replied 24 days ago

if you can take a picture of the port which where the cable connects i can be more sure to send you the correct cable info.

Computer technician: Moses C,
 replied 24 days ago

post the picture here.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
No I cannot connect the device so I don't see why that troubleshooting is worth any money. How do I post the picture? It is on my phone.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I think you should be able to say what kind of cable this drive uses based on the model number of the drive.
Computer technician: Moses C,
 replied 24 days ago

upload it on www.filedropper.com or you can upload the picture here on this chat.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
http://www.filedropper.com/img4277_1
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Both ends of the cable look the same.
Computer technician: Moses C,
 replied 24 days ago

thanks for sending the picture, please send it again as its 90% blurr i cant view it.

click another picture and send, Thanks.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
http://www.filedropper.com/img4274
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
http://www.filedropper.com/img4280 . and . http://www.filedropper.com/img4279
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I need to leave for a meeting in 15 minutes. Will you be able to answer by then?
Computer technician: Moses C,
 replied 24 days ago
Computer technician: Moses C,
 replied 24 days ago
Computer technician: Moses C,
 replied 24 days ago

Anything else you need let me know.

Computer technician: Moses C,
 replied 24 days ago

My priority is 100% customer satisfaction, complete the rating after the problem is fixed/resolved and if you are unable to follow any given steps please click on View response/reply button and post me a reply i will continue in assisting you further.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
That will not connect to a USB-C port. That looks like the old USB
Computer technician: Moses C,
 replied 24 days ago

this cable is called data cable and usb cable is different.

This cable can be used on a printer as well. its the correct cable.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Please go back to my question. I have a new MacBook Pro. All the external ports are USB C. I have this iomega external drive Model 31823700 and want to connect it to the new laptop.
Computer technician: Moses C,
 replied 24 days ago

I am going to opt out and allow other experts to have an opportunity to answer your question.
Thank you.

Computer technician: Jon, Computer Support Specialist replied 23 days ago
Jon
Jon, Computer Support Specialist

Hello, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

So if your macbook only has a USB-C port then first and foremost you will definitely need a "USB-C to USB adapter".

Then once you have the USB-C to USB adapter, you will need to attach your external hard drive cable like shown before with one side connected to the USB-C adapter and the other end to the external drive itself.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I have the USB-C to USB adaptor. This particular external hard drive gets its power from the computer, not from a separate power supply and when I have tried other adaptors through that USB-C to USB adaptor, it doesn't show up on my computer. I haven't yet found an adaptor that fits in the port that I was using on the iomega drive.

Then maybe you should skip using the USB-C to USB adapter I showed you from the apple store but instead use this direct USB-C to USB-B cable which can connect your MacBook with the USB-C side and the USB-B side (big square looking) side into the external hard drive. Maybe because trying all the adapters are losing its power. With this, it is more direct. Please look at the pictures on the following link and tell me if the USB-B part will connect to the external hard drive you are trying to use.

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Printer-USB-C-Black/dp/B00VKSF39O/ref=sr_1_sc_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1527735828&sr=1-3-spell&keywords=usbc+to+usb+bexternal+har+drive