Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I have a P/N: WDBFJK0030HBK - 04, My Book external drive…

Customer Question
I have a P/N...

I have a P/N: WDBFJK0030HBK - 04, My Book external drive that is no longer connecting to my computers. It has not been dropped, but just stopped spinning. I live in Cedar Rapids, IA. Where can I send it to get it fixed, or is there a "quick fix" that I can use.- Michael Fisher (*****@******.***)

Technician's Assistant: Does the hard drive icon appear on your desktop?

No. When I plug i in, it does not connect, and I have a lot of data on it, that I need to retain (for business purposes).

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried accessing the drive on a different computer?

Yes. Same result.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

No. I think that covers it for now

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Computer Hardware
4/3/2018
Computer technician: sudipto_dutta, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 3 months ago
sudipto_dutta
sudipto_dutta, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, I'm Sudipto. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP

Do you see any light on the drive?

Did you try to check with other data cables?

I only have the one data cable. I could fell it vibrating (spinning) but could not see any blinking, and the drive did not connect.

You said that it is not spinning now you are saying that you can feel it is spinning, which one is correct?

I apologize for the confusion. I CAN feel the spinning.

Did you try to connect the drive to any other USB port on the PC?

I even tried another pc. Same result. Is there a way to get the data transferred to another drive?

If you are facing the same problem with more than one PC then, you should try with another USB cable and unless the drive is detected there is no way to transfer the data to any other drive at home, you need to contact some data recovery company, but the charges for recovering data is too high. If the drive is under warranty period then, you can get it replaced by the manufacturer.