Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Logitech webcam c170 microphone not working. Windows 10 asus…

Customer Question
Logitech webcam c170 microphone...

Logitech webcam c170 microphone not working

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand, model, and Operating System (OS) of your computer?

Windows 10 asus motherboard

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your computer?

Reinstalled the webcam, video working, microphone not working

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Computer Hardware
4/3/2018
Computer technician: Bhavik Joshi, Computer Software Engineer replied 3 months ago
Bhavik Joshi
Bhavik Joshi, Computer Software Engineer

Hi, I'm Bhavik. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will reply back ASAP.

Verify that you can hear sound through your speakers

First confirm that you can hear sound through your audio output device (speakers / headphones) by doing the following:

1. Play a sample .wav or .mp3 file.

NOTE: Sample files can be found in the My Documents/My Music/Sample Music folder on your computer.

2. Make sure your audio output device is functioning properly and isn't muted either on the device itself or through the Windows operating system.

MutedNot Muted

3. If your computer audio is currently muted, to un-mute:

1. Click on your audio icon shown above.

2. Uncheck the box next to "Mute" by clicking in it.

3. Close the Volume panel by clicking anywhere on your screen.

Test the microphone in Windows Sound Recorder

NOTE: Before following the next steps, connect your webcam to an alternate USB port and make sure it is detected by your operating system. For instructions, see the Determine if the microphone drivers are loaded properly in Windows Device Manager section below.

1. Launch Windows Sound Recorder:

1. Windows XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > Entertainment > Sound Recorder
    2. Windows Vista: Start > All Programs > Accessories > Sound Recorder

2. Click the Record button and speak into the microphone on the webcam.

3. You should see the green line move, indicating the application is picking up sound. Click the Stop button when you're done recording.

4. Click the Play button to play back the recording.

5. If there is no sound at playback, check if the Logitech webcam microphone is selected. Here's how:

• Click Edit and then select Audio Properties.

• Make sure your webcam's microphone is listed as the "Default device" under Sound recording. If it isn't, select it from the drop-down menu and repeat Steps 2-4 to verify it is working correctly.

NOTE: The next few images show the Webcam 250 for reference only.

6. Follow the instructions below that reflect your situation:

• If the microphone is working and you're able to hear your audio recording, continue to the Make sure the microphone is selected in the Logitech Webcam Software (LWS) section below.

• If the microphone isn't a selectable option, skip to the Determine if the microphone drivers are loaded properly in Windows Device Manager section below.

• If the microphone is selectable but you're unable to record audio, make sure the microphone isn't muted. Here's how:

• Open the Volume Control panel (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Entertainment > Volume Control).

• Click Options and then select Properties.

• Under Mixer device, select "Logitech Mic".

• Under Show the following volume controls, check the box next to "Capture" (if it isn't already selected) and then click OK.

• Uncheck the box next to "Mute all" by clicking in it..

Make sure the microphone is selected in the Logitech Webcam Software (LWS)

• LWS 1.x

1. Launch LWS (Start > Programs > Logitech > Logitech Webcam Software > Logitech Webcam Software).

2. On the LWS menu, click the Change Settings option.

3. Select Audio Settings.

NOTE: Webcam 250 is shown for reference only.

4. Verify that your webcam microphone is listed in the Select Microphone drop down.

5. If the microphone is not listed, click the Audio Tuning Wizard (gears) button and follow the steps provided.

6. Make sure the audio mute button in the LWS menu isn't engaged (as shown below).

7. Create a sample video recording and then play back the file to verify that sound was recorded.

• LWS 2.x

1. Launch LWS (Start > Programs > Logitech > Logitech Webcam Software).

2. On the LWS menu, click the Quick Capture option.

3. Select the Video option to adjust your audio settings.

4. Verify that the Logitech microphone is selected in the Select Microphonedrop-down menu.

If the Logitech webcam microphone wasn't a selectable option in the Audio Tuning Wizard

Did this work for you ? Are you still facing problem ?

Following up to see if the problem still persist ...

Everything you said can be found on the Logitech website. I tried everything and ended up throwing the webcam away.

ok