Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

My grandson spilled Gatorade on my Logitech keyboard - y…

Customer Question
My grandson spilled Gatorade...

My grandson spilled Gatorade on my Logitech keyboard - y -r0051. Any way to open it and try to clean it. New batteries, but keyboard will not power on.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand, model, and Operating System (OS) of your computer?

Apple iPad 512

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your computer?

Turned Bluetooth off and back on

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

A miracle? :)

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Computer Hardware
4/2/2018
Computer technician: Eric Ewing, IT Pro replied 3 months ago
Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro
Experience: I am a technology professional with 20 years experience, and hold 15 industry certifications (from hardware/software repair to mobility to IT Security, and everything in-between!).

Hi! I'm Eric, a computer expert who's been paired with you through JustAnswer.com. I'm reviewing your question now, and will return w/ an answer soon!

I'm so sorry to hear about what happened with your keyboard! The best chance you have to revive this device is by covering it with rice for several days. The rice absorbs moisture, and may help dry out your device. This is a little tricky with a larger device like a keyboard, as it would take a lot of rice to completely cover it up!

Honestly, though, the most likely outcome is that your keyboard will not be operational again...especially if you attempted to power it up after this occurred. Since liquid conducts electricity, the danger with spills is that the liquid short-circuits the internal electrical components. This is far less of a danger if a spill occurs while a device is powered off, but far more of one when a current is put through it.

So, while trying the rice is a worthwhile chance, you'll probably end up needing a new keyboard. I'm so sorry for the bad news. :-(