Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I'm having an issue with the volume cutting in and out for…

Customer Question
I'm having an issue...

I'm having an issue with the volume cutting in and out for the last several days

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

My Dell computer

Technician's Assistant: What Dell model do you have? And the Operating System (OS)?

XPS and Windows

Technician's Assistant: What version of Windows are you running on your XPS?

11 I think

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your XPS? Have you installed any updates recently?

No

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I guess not

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Computer Hardware
3/31/2018
Computer technician: Russell H., Computer Repairer replied 3 months ago
Russell H., Computer Repairer

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your computer sound system question.

If it changes in volume when any slight strain is put upon the cord from the sound card, or when the cable to the speakers or to the earphones/headphones is moved, then you may have either a defective cable, or perhaps a defective headphone/earphone jack on the computer. In either case, a loose connection would be the problem, and you would expect it to someday cease producing sound altogether.

If the volume varies otherwise... does it happen when you are pressing keys on the keyboard, or typing? if so, you may - if you are typing number keys at all - be varying the volume level by using number keys. This can happen in YouTube at least, if not in other apps and instances.

Does this sound like the problem? if not, please describe it a bit more, and whether your computer is a laptop or Desktop model, etc.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.