Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

My Book formatted by mistake and need to recover it. Lenovo…

My Book formatted by...

My Book formatted by mistake and need to recover it

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand, model, and Operating System (OS) of your computer?

Lenovo Desktop Windows Pro 7

Technician's Assistant: What Lenovo model do you have?

Think Centre

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Lenovo? What have you tried so far?

M910t

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Just once

3/27/2018
Richard, Computer Specialist

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

To clarify, did you format it via the windows file manage format actions?

Please let me know

I wanted to save a recovery backup of my new computer, and should have put it on a thumb drive instead of on WD My Book, and it formatted the drive, as it woulwouldn't let me use a partition.
I wanted to save a recovery backup of my new computer, and should have put it on a thumb drive instead of on WD My Book, and it formatted the drive, as it wouldn't let me use a partition.

Ok, when you view it is it giving an error or just shows no files?

I wanted to save a recovery backup of my new computer, and should have put it on a thumb drive instead of on WD My Book, and it formatted the drive, as it wouldn't let me use a partition. Just showing up no files

Thanks

Download the free version of Recuva from here

https://filehippo.com/download_recuva

You see download latest version in the top right

Then install and open it

Perform a scan on the drive and make sure to check the box for deep scanning

This may take over 12 hours to finish but it is the best program for this and it needs to time to inspect all sectors of the drive for anything remaining.

When it has completed, anything that can be restored, this program will restore for you, you can choose to restore it to your desktop or anywhere apart from the disk (once restored you can then copy it back to the disk).

But this is the best way to try to get your data back

I'm trying the hippo, as we speak. I'll let you know.

Thanks, ***** ***** mark this question to remain open so If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service for now by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Richard, Computer Specialist
You have pointed me in the right direction, thank you. I'm self taught on software, but not hardware. I had a short start with W8, went strait into WXP, took a while, and I got into ***** just bought my 2nd new commuter in 12 years, ordered it with W7, and got that but with an OS of W10. Lenovo have rules concerning recovery, that I wasn't prepared for, and I'm not happy with Hippo, as I didn't get what I was hoping for. Since we last chatted, I been chasing my tail trying to resolve my concerns.