Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I have an HP X360 Spectra with a docking station and I

Customer Question
I have an HP...

I have an HP X360 Spectra with a docking station and I cannot get my HP monitor to find a signal input. It was working before I added the docking station. Now I can't get it to work direct with the computer or the docking station. I tried to download all the new drivers and tried to add the device again but it's the monitor is not found when it does the search. Is there something else I can do?

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer or device are you printing from?

Its not a printer issue. It's a monitor issue.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your X360?

For about 3 days.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?

I just had it with the geek squad and they cleaned up a virus and removed a bunch of malware. I would think they would have updated op system. I picked it up from them last Thursday. The monitor worked when I first hooked up after I got it back but now it doesn't. How do I update OS?

Technician's Assistant: The Printer Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

No we will see if that works. Thanks

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Computer Hardware
3/18/2018
Computer technician: Russell H., Computer Repairer replied 4 months ago
Russell H., Computer Repairer

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Try opening a web browser, and going to

https://www.windowsupdate.com

or just start the Windows Update program.

Either way, you can update Windows fully that way - and it's a good idea to do so promptly, at the first opportunity.

As for the monitor problem: have you had the laptop long? and how old is the docking station?

And when you docked the laptop, did you hit a key combination (e.g. the Fn and F4 keys at the same time) to turn On the external display? if so, did you hit it again to turn it Off? that same key may have turned Off the built-in screen of the laptop ... sometimes they do, in some models.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.

It's not my laptop screen it's an external monitor. I didn't hit any combination keys.
I've had the external monitor for 1 year. I've had the docking station for about 3 weeks
I've done all the windows updates. Still can't get signal to external monitor. I think it may be one of my cables. I'm going to try getting replacements today. I will let u know if that works or not

Try replacement cables, then, yes, I agree - esp. if the monitor (external) never needed a keystroke combination done before this, to work. Cables could be where the defect is. Let me know how it goes, when you have news. Thanks!

The cable replacement didn't do anything. I think it may have something to do with the new windows updates because I used the same cables to hook the monitor up with another lap top with an older version and the monitor connects and works just fine. For my computer the HP it will not work even after updating all the windows 10 drivers. I'm at a loss.
Computer technician: Russell H., Computer Repairer replied 3 months ago

OK... Have you restarted the computer, after doing all the Windows updates?