Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Trying to connect my old iomega zip 100 drive with an Intel…

Customer Question
Trying to connect my...

Trying to connect my old iomega zip 100 drive with an Intel Powerbook using OS X 10.6.8. I have plugged a USB cable with a female parallel port into the cable that conencts to the Zip drive. I ahve installed the driver for the USB cable apparently successfully. Cannot see the drive yet. I am getting an error mesage that the Imega driver does not suport Intel and should be updated. Would be very grateful if you can advise, thank you.

Technician's Assistant: What version of OS X are you running on your PowerBook?

It is OS X 10.6.8 which I think was Snow Leopard.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your PowerBook?

I have installed Iomega software oK. Plus the driver for the USB/Parallel cable. I have rebooted but the message is the Iomega software driver does not support Intel.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I am wondering if it is actually possible to buy an Iomega USB cable with a paralle connector that would plug directly into my computer? Would that be a better way to go? Or any other options you can suggest. The Iomega drive dates back to the late 90s and I am trying to retrie ve my work from then.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Computer Hardware
3/17/2018
Computer technician: Pete, Computer Expert replied 1 month ago
Pete, Computer Expert

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

What version of Windows are you using?

Have you checked in Device Manager to see if any driver issues are reported there?

--------------------

Your satisfaction is my priority; I hope I have earned 5 stars today!

Please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press Submit at the top of your question page; tips appreciated :)

If my service is lacking and not worth 5 stars yet, please let me know before submitting your rating and I will do my best to assist you further.

Pete.

--------------------

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Pete,I am actually using an Intel MAC with OS X 10.x. SO apple platform not windows. I thought I made that clear but I can I presumed the mention of OS X and Snow Leopard did not do it.I have a very old Iomega drive from around 1995 which still works and it does connect successfully to a very old1990's Macbook 5300cs. The Iomega drive takes 100meg disks. The 5300 has a 3.5 external but disks are only 1.25 meg.Now the 5300 also has a PCMCIA card slot which I ahve used in the past to connect to the internet. Knowing that, I thoght I would just transfer the files using the internet. Most unfortunately, however, the disk with the PCMCIA driver has been thrown out and I cannot find another disk similar.So then I thought that since the Iomega parallel port cable has a Mac converter plug to enable it to speak to the 5300, then would it be possible to find a USB converter for the iomega cable. Then I could connect it my my later Mac which ahs heaps of disk storage space.I did try to install a USB card into the PCMCIA slot of the 5300 but that does not work. DId that with the view of connecting a usb external HDD to the 5300 to copy the data from the Iomega disks.I actually think that I either buy a second hand USB Iomega drive myself or have someone else copy the files for me. If I can connect the an IOMEGA drive that reads 100 meg disks to my Mac Intel Powerbook then the problem would be solved, I think.I hope this clarifies my problem. Thank you.

Ok, let me check with the other experts on this...

Pete, Computer Expert