Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I am unable to get into my Maxtor external hard drive. I…

Customer Question
I am unable to...

I am unable to get into my Maxtor external hard drive. I have not used in a couple years and my normal password ***** ***** working. Wondering if you can list what characters are required to create password

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand, model, and Operating System (OS) of your computer?

Dell windows 10

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your computer?

My computer is not the issue, it's my external hard drive that I have plugged in to retrieve my backup info

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Computer Hardware
3/16/2018
Computer technician: Dustin, Senior Technician replied 1 month ago
Dustin, Senior Technician

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Whats the full name brand and model of your maxtor drive?

Also, what is the specific name of the software you used to make backups or set the password ***** the drive?

I'll be waiting for your reply, thank you.

Dustin S.
Senior Technician and Former 31F1P ( Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Maxtor black armor I have a PN and SN #
I am not sure of the software, it is just what came with the external drive, which I am unable to locate the paperwork on as it is in storage.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
PN: 9HA2AH-500 320GB
SN: 2HC0322W

There is no way to recover a lost/forgotten password. In the event that this happens, you must perform a KeyEraseTM using the Maxtor Manager software. Once erased, you will have to reconfigure, repartition and reformat before redeployment/use.

That will erase your data, but the drive will be use-able again. If you have any further questions let me know.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can you tell me if this product has specific requirements to use symbols in the password?

There isnt any required symbols, just an uppercase letter, lowercase letter and a number.

Dustin, Senior Technician