Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I have an old Iomega hard drive with lots of photos (pdf…

I have an old...

I have an old Iomega hard drive with lots of photos (pdf files). Can I retrieve them from my Mac? If so, is there software that I need to download so that the computer recognizes the hard drive? The model of the hard drive is: LPHD-UP3

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Mac?

MacOS Sierra version 10.12.5

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Mac?

Nothing. I plugged in the hard drive, and the "Finder" icon didn't recognize the device.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

No thanks

3/11/2018
Dustin, Senior Technician

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

at any point did you use the hard drive with a windows computer?

Also, if you check the disk utiliity, does it show the external disk showing in the disk utility section?

It may be a bit simpler and easier if you and I connect through a secure remote assistance. With that, I will be able to connect to your computer from here and work on repairing the issue personally. This can save a lot of time and if your not very fluent with computer repairs this is the best option.

Our secure remote assistance is guaranteed meaning if I cant solve the issue then you will be entitled to a full refund of all fees. Would you like to try a remote assistance session or would you prefer to continue via written support alone?

Thank you for your response,

Dustin S

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dustin,
I am not willing to connect with you through remote assistance. So I would appreciate your assistance via this online platform, or even better, if you could call my cell.
Yes, I originally downloaded the pdf files onto the Iomega external hard drive via a Windows platform. Now, I am hoping to retrieve those same files through my Mac. Is that possible?
Lastly, I'm not sure what you mean when you reference the disk utility. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.
Dean
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I found the disk utility, and it does not recognize that the Iomega hard drive is plugged in.

Try this next

Shut down your Mac.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
Turn on your Mac.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
Release the keys.

Dustin, Senior Technician
Dustin, Senior Technician