Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Sheri. On 3/7 I sent you the message below but have not

Customer Question
Hello Sheri. On 3/7 I...
Hello Sheri. On 3/7 I sent you the message below but have not heard from you.
Are you going to finish the job we were working on?
Regards
Clive07 March 2018 11:04
Hello Sheri,
Almost immediately after our last interaction I became aware that there were a few items of unfinished business:
1] as I indicated to you, in my very last communication, I was having trouble with search in Outlook and although I tried to re-index the emails, that didn’t appear to work. I’d like your help in fixing the search process and Outlook.
2] also I discovered that in the process of fixing the original problem I lost all my Contacts and Appointments in Outlook. I hope we can get those back.
3] the login process is still a bit clunky it starts up with a login screen stating that there is an error in the login. Each time I boot up I have to switch the user to the new user name [CliveFeb2018] and then enter the password ***** to that user.
Unfortunately, immediately after our last interaction I became snowed by the need to do my taxes and by preparation for some guests to stay with us. I have just about got my head above water now.
Best regards
Clive
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Computer Hardware
3/10/2018
Computer technician: Sheri, Expert replied 4 months ago
Sheri
Sheri, Expert

Hi Clive,

I must have missed your message. Since I don't have the history from the prior communication, can you tell me what error you are receiving verbatim again? I don't know if there is another fix for the indexing issue, but I will have to research it a bit for you first. Once I determine a possible fix, I can have a look at the contacts and calendar issue, as well. We may have to import your old pst again and export the contacts and calendar. Will have to see what the computer will allow and what is possible.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

Hi Sheri, Thank you for your reply.
The main initial problem was an inability to logon except in safe mode. You fixed that by creating a new User Identity and swapping various files under it including Outlook. However 1] The email part of Outlook now works but "Search performance will be impacted because Windows Search service is turned off in elevated mode.
2] also I discovered that, in the process of fixing the original problem, I lost all my Contacts and Appointments in Outlook. I hope we can get those back.
3] the login process is still a bit clunky - it starts up with a login screen stating that there is an error in the login. Each time I boot up I have to switch the user to the new user name [CliveFeb2018] and then enter the password ***** to that user.
Best regards
Clive

Hi Clive,

I remember you and what we did, I just didn't remember the Outlook message! That sounds like a different message. First try these steps:

In the search bar, type services. Scroll down to the "Windows Search" service. Double click to open it. Make sure startup and set to "automatic" and make sure it is running. If it is stopped, click on "start"under service status to start the service. Next, click on the logon tab in that same window and put a check in "Allow service to interact with desktop". Then close Outlook and wait approx. 30 seconds. Next, reopen Outlook. Let me know if error message is gone.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

Hi Sheri,
I did try that process that I read on the web but it didn't work. I tried it again following your instructions to the letter and now when I reopen Outlook I get a message (that I've seen many times before too) saying "Instant Search is not available when Outlook is running with Administrator permissions. To use Instant Search, exit and Restart without administrator permissions".
However, I haven't found how to do that.
Regards
Clive
Sorry - I didn't thank you for your reply and advice
CB

Hi Clive,

Locate the Outlook.exe file. Depending on the version of Outlook, It is in ProgramFiles or ProgramFiles386, in a subfolder of Microsoft. If you tell me the version of Outlook you are running, I can provide the path to find it. Once you locate it, right click and go to properties. Then make sure it is not checked to run in administrator mode.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert