Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I have a Maxtor One Touch 4 Plus that has always worked and…

I have a Maxtor...

I have a Maxtor One Touch 4 Plus that has always worked and been recognized by my Mac computer up until now. My older Mac is running on Yosemite 10.10.5. I only use the Maxtor as an external storage device for photos. Today, my computer is not recognizing the Maxtor and now bringing up an icon to click on my desktop. I have looked for a driver to reinstall online for a Mac and find none exist for the Maxtor One Touch 4 plus. What else can I do so I can get the photos off this drive?

Technician's Assistant: What version of iTunes are you using to sync your Mac?

ITunes, what has that to do with my external drive?

Technician's Assistant: The Mac Technician will be able to walk you through that. When did you last reboot?

I turned on my computer this morning.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?

I do not think so.

I mis typed above. NO icon is apearing on my desktop.
3/8/2018
syseng
syseng, Computer Hardware Engineer

My name is David.

The Mac Disk Utility may be able to fix it.

Press Command+Space to open Spotlight search and type “Disk Utility” and press Enter.

In the Disk Utility application, select the disk or partition to check — and then click the “First Aid” button.

Note that the First Aid function can run on an entire disk, or an individual partition depending on what you select.

Click “Run” and the Mac will check the disk selected for errors automatically fix any errors it finds.

After running the utility, restart the computer and test to see if the issue is resolved.

The Maxtor One Touch 4 Plus is not a choice on the Disk Utility. Only my two hard drives and my three DVD Burners are shown.
From what I can gather my device is no long recognised on a Mac. So I am going to find someone who has a PC and see if they can open the gismo and burn my photo files onto a CD or DVD and then I can open those on my Mac and save them to another newer external hard drive that I actually purchased at an Apple store. Thank you anyway.

Connect it to a different port and reboot and check to see if it then becomes visible.

Also, check to verify that the drive spins up when plugged in.

Did both suggestions before I asked Just Answer
Decided to gismo to husband's work to the IT department and they can open it up on a PC and burn the files for me.
Thank you

Glad you found a solution and thanks for letting me know.

Best regards,

David.

syseng
syseng, Computer Hardware Engineer