Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I would like to use the monitor connected to my desktop on…

Hi I would like...

Hi I would like to use the monitor connected to my desktop on my laptop. I've connected the laptop VGA connection to the HDMI connection on the desktop monitor. However, I cannot get the monitor to see the laptop. I was told that the systems would automatically detect this new connection. Doesn't seem to be working that way. Can you please help me?

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your laptop?

It is windows 7. I don't want to upgrade the laptop because I'm using a program on it that I can't seem to install on the desktop with has Windows 10.

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried rebooting from a DVD or flash drive?

I just rebooted the laptop and the desktop by doing a shutdown and restart. I don't have a DVD or flash drive that can be used for rebooting.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Just thought I'd ask j- have you heard of the program by Bernina called Artista Version 4. that is the program I can't seem to install on the desktop. The desktop had Artista on it, but I started have windows problems with the desktop and had to have the desktop rebuilt with Windows 10 using a repair facility. When that happened, I lost Artista. I use it for computerized embroidery.

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Hi I guess I didn't realize that you'd need to work quite a bit on this problem for me. I need to leave for a meeting in a few minutes. Should I contact you tomorrow or do you want to finish this now? Thanks, Carol
Do you want me to stay on-line or can I contact you tomorrow for the answer?
Do you want me to stay on-line or can I contact you tomorrow for your answer?
3/7/2018
Dan, Computer Support Specialist

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today. Please contact me when you are available and I will reply back as soon as possible.

Hi Dan, I will contact you in the tomorrow afternoon probably around 4:30 pm MST. Is that time ok with you? I appreciate your help, Carol

Possibly. I am in and out around that time but go ahead and post and I will reply back as soon as I can.

Would it be better for me to set up an appointment instead?

Not really. I am always on during the early evening hours and am in the central time zone. Just post a message and I will respond as soon as I can.

Ok I'll do that. I look forward to working with you to fix my problem. Thank you, Carol

Same here.

I am available whenever you are.

Dan Hello, I am ready
What do I need to do noe.

Be with you in a minute.

Okay, can you tell me a bit more as to how you have the monitor connected to your laptop please.

Still with me?

I am here.

Okay good. Did you see my last post?

the monitor I have connected to your laptop it the one that is also connected to my desktop. It is a ViewSonic, Model VX27705mh-LED. It is a nice large monitor which would be very helpful when I'm working on my embroidery designs. It is the same monitor I used before my windows crashed and I had to have the system rebuilt.

What is the make and model of your laptop?

I just gave you that info. Did you get it?

The monitor yes but not the laptop.

oh sorry - the laptop is a Dell Model Latitude E6410.

Got it

good

Are you connecting the monitor using the VGA port on the laptop?

Did you try changing the input source on the monitor?

where do I do that. Would it really be easier for you to have remote access to my computer? Wouldn't you need it with both computers though?

How did you have the monitor connected to the other computer?

it was connected with a VGA to the serial port on the desktop. I'm not sure I made this clear - the laptop is connected using a VGA connection in the laptop going to a HDMI connection on the monitor

The monitor has a VGA connector so you shouldn't need to connect it to the HDMI??

You would also need a special converter to do this as well?

however the desktop needs connected to the monitor - I am using VGA to the serial port on the monitor.
I am using an Adapter that is called HDMI to VGA, so I have the VGA cable going into my laptop, then the other end of the cable goes into the VGA adapter, lastly the HDMI end of the adapter is going into the HDMI connection on the monitor.

Okay let me try to clear this up for you. The connection from the desktop is a VGA as well and not serial. VGA is 15 pin whereas serial will be 9 pin. Are you by chance connecting both computers to the monitor at the same time?

Dan, Computer Support Specialist
that is what I was hoping to do and then somehow switch between the 2 computers when I need to. I realize that I can't use both computers at the same time on the one monitor. I guess I thought the connection in the back of the desktop was called a serial port. It looks like I've have accidently "accepted your offer for Secure Remote Assistance". is this going to help you. Although I don't understand how you'll see the desktop. I am currently writing to you using the laptop

No problem. I can remote in if necessary but we may be able to resolve it without me doing so. First disconnect the desktop if you haven't already. Next you don't need the HDMI adapter since the monitor already has that type of input so just connect it directly to your laptop and let me know when you get that far.

disconnect the VGA cable from the laptop?

Remove the HDMI converter then plug in the VGA cable from the laptop into the monitor.

I have done that and the laptop shows up on the monitor. So it looks like I'll have to disconnect and reconnect each time I want to use a particular computer with the monitor - is that right?

What it boils down to is you can only use one computer at a time. There is an easy way to resolve this and that is to use what is call an AB switch between the two computers. Give me a minute and I will get you a link and explain.

I had asked about a AB switch and both firms that I talked to said it would not work. what a waste of time they have put me through as well as wasting your time. I am sorry about that. Since I didn't need to use the remote assistance access, can I get that charge refunded?

Go to this LINK. You will need to order the package including the cables. What you will do connect the two computers into the switch then when you want to change computers just flip the switch. I will indicate that I did not complete the remote link and you will receive credit back on your card.

By the, you have not wasted my time. I am happy to help!

Dan - thank you so very much for all of your help. Like I said I had asked about the AB switch, but they obviously didn't know about them and how easy they are to use. Thanks again. Your help has been great and very much appreciated. Carol
p.s. I've just now placed the order. Have a great rest of your evening.

My pleasure!

good evening