Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Not TV...malfunctioning bluetooth mouse. Can you help with…

Customer Question
Not TV...malfunctioning bluetooth mouse...

Not TV...malfunctioning bluetooth mouse. Can you help with that or am I in the wrong place? Thanks

Technician's Assistant: How are you connecting the mouse: by USB or wirelessly?

Wireless. Mouse was working, then stopped. Cannot reset, cannot resync and cannot remove the device. Using Win 10

Technician's Assistant: Does moving the mouse closer to the receiver make any difference?

No. Replaced batteries; no dice.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

No, I think that covers the problem. Thanks.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Computer Hardware
1/3/2018
Computer technician: Sheri, Expert replied 3 months ago
Sheri
Sheri, Expert

Hi Customer,

Thanks for using JustAnswer. I am happy to assist you with this issue. Please let me know the brand and model of your bluetooth mouse so we can go to the next step.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

Thanks. It is an Insignia Bluetooth Mouse, Model No. PNM388BK
BTW, the computer is an HP Envy running Win 10
Sorry, I made a mistake due to very tiny print. The model no. is NS-PNM3B8BKSorry for the error.

Thanks for the information. Please do the following:

On your computer, go to settings (bottom left corner windows key, then the gear icon above.) Once in settings, click on devices. Turn off bluetooth and then turn it back on.

Next, remove the mouse from this bluetooth list.

Restart your computer

Next, pair the mouse with the bluetooth again.

Let me know if this solves the problem. Otherwise, we can go to the next steps.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

Have actually tried that already, but tried again... no luck. The device cannot be removed. I keep getting error that says "Remove Device Failed"

OK, remove the receiver first from the usb port, then try it again.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

No dongle; this is running on the HP computer's built-in bluetooth system. Is the error in the device or the computer driver, do you think?

At the bottom of your screen type in Device Manager. In the Device Manager, right click on the bluetooth adapter and go into properties. Then update the driver. Allow Windows to search Windows Update for the latest driver.

Okay working on that...

Ok, I have to step away for approx 10 minutes. I will check back for your update when I return.

Well, I have "Device Manager" open; long list of items, devices and inputs, but nothing labeled "bluetooth adapter" in the list.

I am back. Expand the network adapter settings and see if maybe it is under that.

Negative. But there are two bluetooth items listed, neither one labeled "mouse" however. I can try to update those two and see if one of them is the culprit?

What section are they listed under? Network?

under "Network." But new info: Under "Bluetooth" I could not find an "adapter", but there was one mouse listed. I right-clicked and tried to update driver. Said driver was up to date, but next I was able to remove the mouse.

Excellent. Sounds like progress. After it is removed, I would turn off the mouse. Then reboot computer and then try to re-pair it,

Okay, I will try that next. I will need to disconnect to reboot, but will log back on if I still have trouble. Thank you for your help. Happy New Year!

Sounds good. Happy New Year. Please don't forget to accept my answer and rate me if you are satisfied once you finish. Otherwise, if you need additional assistance just reply and I will check in.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

Hi, I haven't heard back from you. I just wanted to follow up to see if everything is resolved and whether you still need assistance. Let me know.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

Hi, Sheri. Sorry for the delay... I had to set it aside for a few days for work. Bot***** *****ne: the fix did not work. I was able to remove the mouse icon from the "Devices" menu, but it remained in the background and I am still unable to make it work nor remove the driver. I noticed many entries for similar problems on the Microsoft message boards, but those were related to Windows 7 and 8. I can find no info on how to solve this problem with Win 10. Any suggestions?

ok, try this:

Delete it again completely from device manager, delete it completely from Windows bluetooth, go into control panel, administrative tools, services and stop all services that have bluetooth in their name, but don't disable them. Next check in programs, also through control panel, and delete any programs related to the mouse. Next go into control panel, user account control settings and slide the slider all the way down to the least setting. Reboot the computer. Go to device manager and at the top level have it scan for any system changes. It should load the bluetooth driver. Try pairing the mouse again, ensuring it is turned on and has fresh batteries. Also, you may want to use the receiver instead of the bluetooth that is built in.

Let me know how that goes.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

Okay, thank you. I will try this when I get home from work tonight.

Sounds good. Just reply and left me know once you try.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

I just wanted to follow up and see how that worked for you.

Let me know.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

Sheri
Sheri
Sheri, Expert