Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I recently had to reinstall Windows 10 and now cannot access…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I recently...

Second opinion] I recently had to reinstall Windows 10 and now cannot access my files on My External My Book Essential drive. I have had this drive since 2008 and now I cant access it. What do I do?

Technician's Assistant: Does the hard drive icon appear on your desktop?

Yes but when I go into it all I see is the drop box and not my "L" drive

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried accessing the drive on a different computer?

No

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Only that I can get access to my files. I use it for storing my files instead of keeping on my computer hard drive. Ever since I reinstalled Windows 10 it tells me I have to have an access code but it tells me its no longer available.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Computer Hardware
1/1/2018
Computer technician: Russell H., Computer Repairer replied 6 months ago
Russell H., Computer Repairer

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your external hard drive question.

In order to access files backed up on a MyBook, sometimes you have to install the software that the files were backed up to the drive with, onto the new computer.

What program did you use on the old computer, to do backups to the MyBook?

Or if you're not sure, was the old computer a Windows PC, or an Apple computer, please?

With that information, I can give you guidance as to what to do to recover access to your files (though I think I know the answer already, it's just a guess at present.)

Since I have not heard back from you, I am asking whether my answer was helpful and provided what you needed ?

(If the problem isn't solved yet, and if you wish, I can remotely connect to your computer - with your approval only - and see to getting a way worked out through this problem, for a small additional fee.)

(If I didn't answer your question, if you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond, and I will be pleased to help you further.)

While waiting on hold for a long time, I was able to solve my own problem?

I'm glad to hear that the problem was solved, by whatever means. Thank you for trying JustAnswer.com, and please have a good evening.