Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

My computer won't recognize my external hard drive. I use it…

Customer Question
My computer won't recognize my...
My computer won't recognize my external hard drive. I use it to backup all my files that I want to keep. Like music, movies, documents, installers, all that I want to keep but free up the space on my computers hard drive.
What do I need to do to fix this? Do I need to update a driver, or reinstall my devices? What do I do?
Thank you!
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Computer Hardware
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/1/2018
Computer technician: Richard Freese, Home improvement replied 6 months ago
Richard Freese
Richard Freese, Home improvement

Hello; Happy New Year and so sorry you are having issue with your external hard drive. Have you tried to disconnect it from you PC and then reconnect? Also if you unplug the power supply and plug it back in, do you see a light and hear the drive spin up? You may have already done this. But my experience with these issue dictates that I eliminate the obvious problems first. Let me know what happens.

Thank you for your response.
This is a USB powered hard drive. I don't leave iut plugged in all the time. Usually, only when I'm using it to backup or restore files to and from my PC. When I connect it, the green power light lights up and I can heard it spinning like usual. But, it does not show up This PC on my system like usual. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting it. I also tried restarting the computer, without success.
Thank you for your response.
This is a USB powered hard drive. I don't leave it plugged in all the time. Usually, only when I'm using it to backup or restore files to and from my PC. When I connect it, the green power light lights up and I can heard it spinning like usual. But, it does not show up This PC on my system like usual. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting it. I also tried restarting the computer, without success.

Sorry. It's a busy day and I am with family. So, the next test is to see it it works on another PC if you have that option. And then remove the USB driver for the device and then see if it will auto detect it.

I don't have access to another pc at the moment. I have another identical hard drive. I plugged it in to the usb and it came up just fine like usual.
I'm really starting to panic now. Thinking about it, I was using the hd for backup but also for storage of stuff that I hadn't been able to backup to anything anywhere. It was originally used for storage of personal, financial, medical, and miscellaneous files that I wanted to keep.I guess sort of an archive.
Then my wife and I had to move suddenly and could not find a new home for a couple of years. We just found where we are now 3 months ago. I had limited access to most of my stuff for those couple of years and the archive hard drive became a dual purpose storage unit. Intending to be temporary.
I wonder if a data recovery company or software could help?

Hello;

Sorry for the delay in responding. I had a very long night on the 31st because of travel delays.

How big is your external disk drive? Is it a mini drive or does the case hold a standard sized disk drive?

If you feel comfortable enough to remove the drive from it's enclosure, you can get one of these and try accessing the drive that way

https://frys.com/product/9205119?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I have on of these and they work great. I can also offer to have you send it to me and I can try and recover the data for you and post it on my NAS storage system and you can download it to wherever you want. There would be a fee for this and no guaranty of recovery. Of course, I would do my level best to recover it.

Or you can take the drive to a Geek Squad location and see if they can recover the data to another external USB drive.

The Geek squad option would be the fastest. Let me know what you think.