Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I am using a hyvision monitor model mv178 for my home 4

Customer Question
I am using a...

I am using a hyvision monitor model mv178 for my home 4 camera system, zmodo h.264 dvr. I'm receiving a error message "cable not connected" on monitor? any suggestions?

Technician's Assistant: Did you download all the necessary software to connect your camera to your computer (e.g. Canon EOS Utility)? Is your software the latest version?

No computer. direct to dvr and monitor

Technician's Assistant: If you are using a USB cable, are you using the one that came with your camera or an aftermarket one?

Came with camera

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Camera Expert to know before I connect you?

That should be it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Computer Hardware
Could it just be a cable not connected properly or missing?
12/20/2017
Computer technician: syseng, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 4 months ago
syseng
syseng, Computer Hardware Engineer

My name is David.

Does the error appear on all cameras or only one camera or is the error produced by the monitor?

Monitor. This is used as a security monitoring center. 4 wired cameras and DVR with monitor. No pc with this. My research tells me this error msg is monitor produced, which leads me to believe it may be a cable not connected to the monitor from DVR, properly. Cameras show they have power. My initial write up gives you the make and model of the equipment used. No other Eqpt is being used.

Ok, thanks.

So if you select to display a different camera or display a different arrangement of the cameras and there is no difference on the screen (meaning the error continues to display) then the issue is most likely caused by a disconnection of the monitor output from the DVR to the monitor.

I recommend checking both ends of the monitor output cable, the one connected to the monitor and the other end connected to the DVR, and at each end disconnect the cable then reconnect and fasten down the cable, then if the error continues power down and power up the DVR and then the monitor and check to see if the error is resolved.

Please let me know the result.

Will do

Do you need further assistance?

I found out that it is not worth it to repair. A new unit is less expensive to buy then repair. Also, I tried EVERY which way and still doesn’t. Only wish you would’ve realized that. No additional “help” needed.

I've worked on thousands of video security systems and the symptom you describe is quite common yet there are many causes, the vast majority of which are fixable with the exception of major damage caused by things like lightening storms that cause voltage spikes and water that leaks on the DVR or cameras. Sounds like you had it diagnosed as being something that requires a major repair. If you change your mind just let me know.

David, hope you have a very Merry and Blessed Christmas!

Thank you! And you have a Merry Christmas as well!

syseng
syseng
syseng, Computer Hardware Engineer