Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I bought an XPG SX6000 m.2 2280 PCIe SSD to install in my…

Customer Question
I bought an XPG...

I bought an XPG SX6000 m.2 2280 PCIe SSD to install in my Acer R5-571T 59DC, but Windows 10 can't see it. Do I need a BIOS update?

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

Acer Aspire, model R5-571T 59DC

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Aspire? Have you installed any updates recently?

No The update I'm attempting is to use this PCIe SSD as the boot drive

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

No, that should do it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Computer Hardware
12/18/2017
Computer technician: Elgin Vega,
 replied 7 months ago
Elgin Vega

Hi, my name is***** will try my best to help you resolve your problem.

Can you tell me how the disk is seen in the disk manager?

To open the disk manager right click in computer and select manage, then storage manager.

The disk is not seen in Disk Manager, nor in the BIOS. I just updated the BIOS to the latest version, and it still doesn't show. I've physically reinstalled it twice. I need to know if this motherboard can utilize a PCIe NVME SSD as the boot drive.
Computer technician: Elgin Vega,
 replied 7 months ago

Checking the motherboard, and the disk

Computer technician: Elgin Vega,
 replied 7 months ago

I have checked the disk info and the mobo, It seems like the disk is a NVMe disk and it need some extra steps to make it a boot device.

First thing recommended is to update BIOS.

I found lots of videos and information on how to boot from a M2 NVMe SSD but for some people it doesnt work, we can start using this link.

https://tinkertry.com/how-to-boot-win10-from-samsung-950-pro-nvme-on-superserver

Elgin, What can you tell me about my mobo? This article is specific to a different motherboard, so it's really of little use. You recommended that I update the BIOS, but I had said in the previous message that I'd just done that. Not very satisfied, so far.
Computer technician: Elgin Vega,
 replied 7 months ago

I was looking for the compatibility and I coulnt find anything about it, all disk compatibles are non NVME.