Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Computer Hardware

I have a very old external Iomega disk drive, Model [email protected],

Customer Question
I have a very...

I have a very old external Iomega disk drive, Model [email protected], P/N31866900, s/n70aa13bddr. It has been sitting in a storage cabinet for xxx yrs.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand, model, and Operating System (OS) of your computer?

It is an HP using Win7. I cannot open this disk to see what might be on it. My computer say it will have to be reformatted. I realize that whatever is on it will be lost if I do that but my computer also tells me it cannot be reformatted.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Should I just destroy it and just throw it out. Is it now totally worthless?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Computer Hardware
12/13/2017
Computer technician: armymil2003, Computer Support replied 2 months ago
armymil2003
armymil2003, Computer Support

Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I would be happy to assist today with your question.

Give me just a moment while I review the information provided.

Before we begin, I would like to explain how the site works if this is your first visit here. The page you are viewing offers ads for things like secure desktop connection and a phone call. These are not asked by me and I will explain in our conversation if doing one of those things would help make troubleshooting easier. If you request to do either one, I would be happy to do it with you regardless.

If you are prompted during our conversation to rate me, it is as simple as choosing between 5 stars at the top right corner about my service today. Hopefully, I will earn 5 stars today. It is the only way I receive credit for helping you today.

Some things we work on may not easily be resolved with the given resources (such as needing additional media or hardware issues that require replacement). Please understand I will try my hardest to resolve the issue or answer any questions but some things are out of my control.

Finally, make sure to bookmark this page so you can easily come back to this page. If we are working on this issue and you need to step away, you can always leave me a message on this question. I will respond as soon as I can if I am not online. I check periodically throughout the day if not during my normal business hours.

Sorry to the wait. There's a lot of new questions since the Thanksgiving holidays. So I have a short answer and a longer answer for you.

Short answer: Yes, it would be best to go ahead and destroy it and make sure to destroy the circular disc inside the hard drive. It would not be a reliable hard drive to store anything of value on it. I made this mistake before and lost good resources.

A longer answer is: if you don't have anything of value but just want something to store small things, you might be able to get it to work using some kind of partition software. Before you do anything with it, you might try IOBIT's undelete.

https://www.iobit.com/en/iobitundelete.php

You might be able to recover some old files.

http://download.cnet.com/MiniTool-Partition-Wizard-Free-Edition/3000-2094_4-10962200.html

I would recommend this one to try to partition the drive to see if it will let you this way. Both options are free. Worst case, you just have a nice paper weight.

----

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I would be happy to help provide any clarification or further details you may need. If you do not need any further help, just as a reminder before you go, please give me a quick rating at the top right. Hopefully I have earned 5 stars today! This helps me receive credit for helping you today. Have a great rest of your day!

Just wanted to see if your were able to recover anything. Let me know how this went.

armymil2003
armymil2003
armymil2003, Computer Support