Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I restarted my box this morning and it will not get off

Customer Question
Good afternoon, I restarted...

Good afternoon, I restarted my box this morning and it will not get off first base (the 4 colored balls just keep on turning. Can you help please??

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your computer or device?

Windows 10

Technician's Assistant: Does your computer have an On-Screen Display button for brightness?

I will have to check

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

NO and NO

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Computer Hardware
12/7/2017
Computer technician: syseng, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 4 months ago
syseng
syseng, Computer Hardware Engineer

My name is David.

Boot the computer and when the Windows logo appears immediately shut down the computer do this three times. Then boot a fourth time and the Advanced Boot Menu will display. Select the Advanced Options button, then click Troubleshoot, then click Advanced Options, then Startup Repair to being the Startup Repair tool. If it completes successfully, reboot and test to confirm the issue is resolved.

Please let me know the result.

Thanks,

David.

Hello David
sorry for the delay. I am somewhat confused with your response. My NVIDIA SHIELD box is standalone, there are no switches on it whatsoever. I believe it is attached to the computer/internet by the internet wifi. If I have to reboot my computer it will take a little while each time. My copro is about 6 years old!!

Ok so just to clarify, is it the NVIDIA SHIELD box or your computer that is not booting correctly?

Got lost in this software.
It is the NVIDIA SHIELD pro

Ok, thanks.

A reset should resolve the issue. Perform the steps below to reset the NVidia Shield Pro:

1. Turn off your SHIELD.
2. Unplug the power cable from your SHIELD.
3. Connect your SHIELD to your PC/Mac/Linux computer via USB using SHIELD's micro USB port.
4. Plug the power cable back into your SHIELD.
5. Wait 2 seconds, and then hold the NVIDIA power button on SHIELD for 5-6s until you see the fastboot menu on the display.
6. Tap on NVIDIA button to move on Menu to "Boot recovery kernel".
7. Hold NVIDIA button to for 2-4s to select "Boot Recovery Kernel".
8. You may see the dead Android robot on screen. This is expected behavior.
9. Hold NVIDIA button to for 2-4s to process to next menu. If you don't see the Recovery menu, try this step a few times.
10. You will see Android Recovery Menu.
11. Tap on NVIDIA button to move to "wipe data/factory reset".
12. Hold NVIDIA button to for 4-6s to select "wipe data/factory reset".
13. After process select "reboot system now".
14. SHIELD will boot to home screen.

Please let me know the result and if you need assistance with any of the steps.

OK, I found this answer a couple of hours ago and didn't want to go through the process of bringing the NVIDIA(BOX) to the computer. I think I will need to buy a micro cable, also I am not sure if my pc monitor will display the same as my VISIO TV. Will you leave this question open until I am able to get the micro cable and perform the process?

Yes, the question will be left open. When you are ready to step through the procedure let me know and I will standby to help with any questions.

Thanks,
please be patient weekend sports are upon us and my day is booked tomorrow. My wife is desperate to get the box working again so you are batting a thousand!!

Ok, will do!

:)

Do you still need assistance?

I have the cable but still need to find the time to go through the process. Xmas is kicking my but this year I won't forget please be patient. Is the price for having you do this by linking over and above the $40?

Yes, 39.00 for remote assistance. I will send you an offer just in case you decide that you would like me to do it remotely.

Just let me know when you are ready and a best time for you to work on it.

Thanks,

David.

$39 or $79 in total for all of your assistance/help? If the answer is $39 I will accept the offer. If you accept, and you are not otherwise occupied I would like to this on a weekday afternoon.

The 39.00 is the standard price in addition to the original amount for the question. However, we can still continue with this Q&A session and as you step through the procedure above I can provide assistance as needed.

Ok! We can do it the cheaper route we are on fixed income. I need to see what our schedule looks like for next week and get back with you!!

Ok, I will check back once you respond with a time that works for you.

Thanks,

David.

David, SORRY for the late response I had a major problem with my "in box" being corrupted this locked out my OUTLOOK program which killed my e-mail settings I was unable to open. I needed time to fix this Christmas got in the way I have been up most of the night and finally figured out a work around. With a bit of luck I will have time today to try the repair on the box I will let you know the results.
syseng
syseng
syseng, Computer Hardware Engineer