Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I have a WD external disk drive, a couple years old, and I…

Customer Question
Hi there. I...

Hi there. I have a WD external disk drive, a couple years old, and I am trying to connect it to a Levono laptop and the drive is appearing in the Device Manager but not on my computer mapped to any drive. It is not showing up under Data Management either. Can you help?

Technician's Assistant: Does the hard drive icon appear on your desktop?

No it doesnt

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried accessing the drive on a different computer?

I have and it still doesn't work. I have switched Cables as well

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

It is appearing on the Device Manager and shows data stored on it I just cant access it. Thank you

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Computer Hardware
12/7/2017
Computer technician: Byron, PC Support Tech replied 4 months ago
Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.

Has the drive only been used with a Windows computer in the past?

I honestly don't know

Thank you. On your keyboard hold down the Windows logo key to the left of the spacebar and press R.

The Run box will open.

In the text area type: diskmgmt.msc and click OK.

The Disk Mangement window will open.

Does the drive show up in the upper area of the windows with a drive letter?

In the lower area of the window the drive should be listed as Disk 1 (or higher)

with partition information to the right of that. What is the description?

It is not at the top, but at the bottom it is shown as "unallocated"

Thank you. Unallocated means there are no data-containing partitions on the drive.

Were you expecting it to contain data files?

I was
Under the Unallocated it says uninitialized

Thanks. If you were to buy a brand new drive with nothing on it, it would show up in Disk Management

as Unallocated. That drive is in the same condition as if you bought it new. I don't know what happened to it

to wipe the partitions but any data that was there is now lost.

You can create a partition on the drive for use, however.

What if data was downloaded to it from another external drive but it was never used on Windows?

In order to store data files on the drive it is first necessary to create at least one formatted partition.

The drive has none so there is no data on it now.

ok, so you are saying there is nothing that can be recovered from there, there was a huge amount of data on there

You can try but as always there is no guarantee of success.

Go here: https://www.easeus.com/ad/partition-recovery.htm?gclid=CjwKCAiA6qPRBRAkEiwAGw4Sdr2h67Ytx7_zwe0-0ShqSa5QIqcAURzLFqwUxZkDHc3rzaxRWvwzwRoCDxMQAvD_BwE

scroll to the bottom and download the trial version and install it and see if it can find anything on the drive.

The link is not working
Nevermind, I have it now

Thank you.

Well, I am running it but it says it will take 5 hours

Thanks.There is no way to speed up the process. How large is the drive?

2047 GB

Thanks. A 2TB drive is pretty big. I can understand why it might take that long.

Save this page in your browser as a bookmark/favorite and please let me know the result.

Thank you, ***** *****

Thanks.

Hi Byron,Just to let you know, the scan is finally finished and there were no files detected. Guess we are out of luck at this point, huh?

Hi. If Easeus was unable to find anything, short of sending the drive off to a pricey data recovery company (with no guarantee

of recovery) it looks like there is nothing to recover on the drive.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but my goal is always to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service (and not the outcome) by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thanks

Since you seem a bit uncertain about how the drive was previously used this might be worth a shot.

If there's any possibility the drive was used on a Mac computer this will allow you to view the drive

contents on a Windows machine: http://www.catacombae.org/hfsexplorer/

Macs use a file system (HFS or HFS+) that's different from the Windows file system (NTFS)

and Windows can't read the Mac file system. Or if you have access to a Mac machine

you can connect the drive to that would be the simplest way to check. I just want to cover

the bases.

Byron
Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech