Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

My keypad and Board aren’t working. Oh jeez. Keypad just…

Customer Question
My keypad and Board...

My keypad and Board aren’t working.

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer? And the Operating System (OS)?

Oh jeez

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your computer? What have you tried so far?

Keypad just froze. I turned the computer off and on wasn’t able to work with the Settings at all because I had no cars there. I’ve tried going to settings with my arrow keys but just can’t Navigate without keys or pad.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Helloooo

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Computer Hardware
Only my touch pad isn’t working!!
Answered in 2 days by:
12/4/2017
Computer technician: Nathan, Systems Manager replied 7 months ago
Nathan, Systems Manager

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

What is the model of the computer?
Are you saying the keyboard does work now, but the touchpad is not responsive?

It’s an Asus notebook laptop. I got it about seven years ago. It’s only the touchpad that’s not working the keyboard itself is functioning properly. From what I understand this is a common problem with Asus computers.

Yes it is a common issue,

it may be a driver issue, or a hardware issue,

initially if possible you'll be best off if you can connect a usb mouse to the laptop so you have some means of navigating,

then go into the control panel, then to device manager, and locate the touchpad there (interface devices, or mice/pointing devices) and then right click the touchpad and check for driver updates.

I don’t have a usb mouse. I feel like he might be saying there is nothing I can do until I get a USB mouse. Is that correct Nathan???
That is correct you need some means of navigating and accessing the menus. It is possible via keyboard commands but there are a lot of complex shortcuts that you would need to know and most people do not have that skill. You can go buy a mouse for about $5 on amazon
When I get the mouse can I just come back to the email and hit reply? It probably won’t be for a few hours yet.
reply to me here in this chat
Great!! Sit tight.
Thanks
Where is the control panel?
I see settings and FileExplorer
Never mind, found it
It is setting if you have windows10
There are printers and faxes and devices etc. etc. but nothing for a touchpad that I can see
You are not in the right place. Go to the start menu and type device manager and you should get to it there. Devices is not the same.
Would it be the ‘mice and other pointing devices’? What next?

Yes, then you choose the touchpad from that list, right click, then update drivers

There’s nothing for touchpad. The only relatable item would be mice and other pointing devices. If I right click on mice and other devices it gives me the option to scan for hardware changes which I did. Nothing happened.
The other option, after right clicking on mouse, etc. & pointing devices is Properities. I clicked properties which Included nice and the other devices.

If you double click, or click the + to expand the list, it should show the touchpad there.

If you still don't see it there look under the Interface Devices. It is usually called touchpad or synaptics

I don’t see interface devices anywhere. That might make it a little bit easier
If I search synaptic‘s brings me to search engine that shows ‘synaptic‘s update for Microsoft driver’. Is this what you’re speaking of?

Not quite, but that is another method we can try if you aren't able to find the touchpad in the device manager. Go ahead and run that and see if it finds anything there to update,

if not, then this is not a software issue but rather a hardware issue and at that point you are best off just using an external mouse as it would cost about as much to fix as it would to buy a new notebook

You're advising me to download an external program to fix my key pad??? There is nothing else we can try? We made maybe three attempts to fix the problem

I mentioned from the very beginning that this was either a driver issue or a hardware issue,

if updating the driver does not help, then it is hardware failure. This is a notebook that is functionally obsolete at this point and over double its service life, so seeing a hardware failure is not surprising, and why I mentioned that it would not be worth actually having it repaired, when you can use an external mouse quite inexpensively and easily.

You know what I just realized, this computer is about 2 yrs old. I’m not sure why but I was thinking of my older laptop.
ASUS Model x555L Notebook
Not quite double its service life or even obsolete. So now what do we do. This should be easy right?

Well that does help in terms of age, but still does not mean it isn't a hardware issue. It does though mean that you might still have some warranty coverage for it.

You do still need to get the drivers updated though.

How do I update the drivers? The Synaptics update gave me 6 options.

Can you tell me what they are so I can guide you on selecting the correct option?

I figured it out. Have a Merry Christmas. Thanks.

Great, glad it was able to update and is working again for you!

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,