Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Hp 7612 printhead appears to be missing, not detected, or…

Customer Question
Hp 7612 printhead appears...

Hp 7612 printhead appears to be missing , not detected, or incorrectly installed?

Technician's Assistant: What hp model do you have?

Officejet 7612

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your hp printer?

Occasionally over the past couple months

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?

Never....?

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of Thanks

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Computer Hardware
11/30/2017
Computer technician: Nathan, Systems Manager replied 4 months ago
Nathan, Systems Manager

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2012 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Nathan, Systems Manager