Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

How do I format the external drive for Mac OS. 10.12.6.

Customer Question
How do I format...

How do I format the external drive for Mac OS

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Mac?

10.12.6

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Mac?

Tried setting up through time machine but the drive needs to be formatted for mac os, currrently is Windows

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

This is a new drive. I will be transferring data from another older drive. Also, ;need to make sure it has GUID partition.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Computer Hardware
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/29/2017
Computer technician: PC_Wizzard, Computer Enthusiast replied 7 months ago
PC_Wizzard
PC_Wizzard, Computer Enthusiast

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

1. Connect the drive to the Mac.
  2. Open Disk Utility. ...
  3. Select the drive you want to format.
  4. Click Erase.
  5. Give the drive a descriptive name and leave the default settings: OS X Extended format and GUID partition map. ...
  6. Click Erase and OS X will format the drive