Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I have a 8TB Backup Plus and it won't mount anymore to my…

Customer Question
I have a 8TB...

I have a 8TB Backup Plus and it won't mount anymore to my MAC or Windows 10 computer. Its a little over a year old and hardly used.

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the model of your Mac, and what operating system are you running?

MacBook Air and High Sierra. I was on the phone with a senior specialist from MAC for an hour and we couldn't get it resolved. He suggested contacting you.

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your Apple? What troubleshooting have you tried?

The computer was purchased in 2013 and works fine. It recognized your Seagate 2TB drive as well as a My Passport drive. We tried disk utility.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Computer Hardware
11/28/2017
Computer technician: Sheri, Expert replied 4 months ago
Sheri
Sheri, Expert

Hi JACUSTOMER-s6w5aqdo,

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am happy to assist you with this issue. I have a few questions so we can troubleshoot this.

1. When was the last time it mounted
  2. Was it formatted for both MAC and PC, such as an exfat partition?
  3. Does it show up in disk utility on Mac or Disk Management on PC at all anymore, like intermittent, or not at all?
  4. When you power it on (via plugging in USB or if it requires power supply), does it make any beeping or scratching sounds?

Let me know so we can go to the next step.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

I am very tired of explaining this and would prefer phone support. I have spent close to two hours today with Apple trying to solve this.
Suppose you don’t fix it? Do you think I can get Amazon to send me a new one. This product seems like junk and a $300 mistake.

I can tell you that hard drive warranties vary from 6 months to a year, approx. If it is an external drive, it is simply a plastic case with an internal hard drive inside. When you check for warranty coverage, the website will want the serial number. This is the serial number from the drive inside the plastic case. It doesn't sound like it it still under warranty, however, definitely check with WD first. Amazon will likely refer you to WD. The questions about the sounds will help me determine if it is a physical or logical issue. Likely is is a physical issue. Do you need the data that is on it? If so, I will need to make that determination. Just to let you know, I worked for a Data Recovery company for 8 years, so I am well versed in this. If the data is valuable to you, you definitely do not want to keep trying to plug it into the computer if it is not mounting. Let me know.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

I transferred all the data to another external drive, so it's safe and sound. I don't think I want to pay for this, so can you delete my account.

I will flag this to customer service for you.

Sheri
Sheri
Sheri, Expert