Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

How do I reset password without disc? Toshiba satellite

Customer Question
How do I reset...

How do I reset password ***** disc?

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand, model, and Operating System (OS) of your computer?

Toshiba satellite windows 7

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your computer?

Several different passwords I usually use, but I have not used this computer in several years

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I want to get to files stored on this old computer

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Computer Hardware
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/28/2017
Computer technician: Chris L., Support Specialist replied 4 months ago
Chris L., Support Specialist

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Ok

This can be a difficult process depending on your skill level with computers but I will provide with a few things that you can try yourself.

I will try to follow

This method of recovering the password ***** or may not work, it really depends on how complex of a password ***** were using. You will also need a few things to attempt this, you will need a computer with a CD burner as well as a blank CD. I will provide you the steps on what to do but honestly if you feel like these steps are over your head your quickest solution may be to just take the computer to your local repair shop and have them get you into the computer, this is a relatively cheap fix at most shops.

Now if you want to try yourself here is what you need to do.

First check if by chance the computers default administrator account is enabled, if it is you can use that to reset the password. Here is how you check:

Restart your PC, and keep tapping the F8 keyboard button.

When you arrive at the safe mode prompt choose Safe Mode with Networking. Now Windows will start in Safe Mode. Select the default Administrator account from the login, the password ***** be left blank. If you can log in with this account or any other administrator account click start choose control panel, click users and change the password ***** the locked account.

If you do not have the administrator account or any other accounts besides guest follow the instructions below.

1. Download and save this free password ***** tool here http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/download.php?type=livecd Click the Ophcrack Vista LiveCD (This works for Win 7 too)

2. Once that download has finished download this free burning program http://cdburnerxp.se/

3. Install then open the Cdburnerxp program and select Burn ISO Image Add the ophcrack ISO file you saved earlier to this blank disk

4. Once you have created the bootable ophcrack CD place that into the locked computer and start the machine. You will need to boot from the CD so look for a message on the computer that says "Press any key to boot from CD"

5. If done correctly the ophcrack program will start scanning and when finished it will show you all the passwords it was able to find.

As I said depending on the complexity of the password ***** may or may not be able to get it. In this case I suggest you take the computer to your local repair shop where they have the equipment to easily get around the password.

If the above does not work for you another option to recover those files is to remove the hard drive from the computer then get yourself an adapter like THIS which will allow you to use the hard drive as if it was a normal external hard drive, you could just plug it into another computer and pull the files off.

Again if none of these options are good for you your best bet is to take it to your local repair shop and it should be very easy for them to reset your password ***** you.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

This didn't help, but thanks.
Good bye

Is there anything I could do to help you further? Was something not clear?

No thanks

Got it. If you end up having any further questions feel free to reply and let me know.

Chris L., Support Specialist