Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Computer Hardware

I just bought a m317c collection mouse and I am unable to…

Hi I just bought...

Hi I just bought a m317c collection mouse and I am unable to install. I have inserted chip and turned on the mouse, but nothing. I have windows with the tiles is that Windows 10? I am wondering if I need to update drivers

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer?

Acer not sure if this is model es1-511-c0dv. sorry had an issue, I have windows 8

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your computer?

Turning it off and insert usb, then turning on. and inserted the usb into different ports

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Just was wondering if there are some drivers that need up dating as I fee really stupid not being able to install a mouse thx

are u out there?
11/23/2017
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.
I am very sorry about your issues. Few things first:

1. So you are using an Acer laptop with Windows 8 not 10?
  2. Did you install any software for the mouse?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.
Best regards,
Jess

I am using an acer laptop with windows 8. no software came with mouse

Ok. That mouse is battery operated. Did you check if there is a battery in it already? After placing the batteries, you need to turn it ON too using the power slider at the bottom.

it came with a battery and yes I turned it on. I will try another battery
still nothing with a new battery

Yes, please make sure also that you placed the battery correctly. That is, with the correct polarity.

And then, first slide the power switch to OFF. Then after 30 seconds, slide it back to ON.

The led on top will show red if the battery is low.

did not see your last reply on line, yes the battery is incorrectly. have turned off and on no red light

If the battery is placed CORRECTLY this time, please turn ON the mouse (slide the power button to ON position) and see if the mouse works this time.

Also, make sure that you plug the USB transceiver that came with the mouse to the USB port of the laptop as well.

usb is in port on laptop, turned mouse off waited 30 seconds turned on still nothing

Did you see any led light when you turned ON the mouse? That is an optical mouse so there should be some sort of laser type light at the bottom if it is turned ON.

no red light switch is on green showing
this is the second mouse I have tried, I had one from Microsoft before maybe I need to go back to that type of mouse. this should not be this complicated to install. I have installed my last mouse

Are you saying it is showing green light on top? I just want your confirmation that the mouse is powered ON with the new battery.

mouse switch is turned on to show green. no other light is showing. no red light indicating laser is on

Ok thank you for that confirmation. This means that the mouse is NOT powered on. Please switch it back to OFF. Then to ON position. See if it is powered ON.

Also, make sure that the batteries are placed correctly. It should work when it is powered ON.

the battery is in correctly and the mouse is turned on, I have tried this repeatedly and no red laser light is coming on. either the mouse is defective or like I said I need to get a Microsoft mouse.

Are you sure that the batteries you are trying to use are OK and not yet drained?

If there are 2 batteries needed there, please try to use one for the original batteries that came with the mouse, and one from your stock. See if this battery combination willpower ON the mouse.

In this case, if the mouse does not power on, and the batteries are good, the mouse could be defective. You need to bring it back to the store where you bought it.

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
I need to go now, I put in a battery that was in my old mouse that did get the red laser light. I am going to take mouse back and get a Microsoft one. thank u for your time

You're welcome. The mouse is supposed to work directly when it is powered ON (means battery is inserted correctly and working) and when the USB device is plugged into the computer. If yours did not work even though it is powered ON and the USB device is plugged into the USB port, something is wrong with the device.

If you have time, we can troubleshoot further. But you can bring it back to the store as it is brand new and it should be covered with warranty.

Thank you for using our service.

Best regards,

Jess

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist