Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I have an external hard drive from you that stored most of…

Customer Question
I have an external...

I have an external hard drive from you that stored most of my pictures and now shows there is nothing on the drive. I have never erased or reformatted it. How can I recover the data?

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your computer? What troubleshooting have you tried?

I couldn't tell you but I'm sure it is not under warranty.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Computer Hardware
11/22/2017
Computer technician: armymil2003, Computer Support replied 7 months ago
armymil2003
armymil2003, Computer Support

Hello! Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to assist today.

Just to recap, you have an external drive that suddenly is blank and you need to recover the files, is that correct?

I would prefer not to continue to be up sold. Thanks for your time.

Please disregard the upsells. It is not me, it is the site.

I would be happy to troubleshoot with you if you still would prefer.

Computer technician: Tim, Sr. Engineer. replied 7 months ago
Tim
Tim, Sr. Engineer.

Hi there, I'm Tim, SR-Systems and Network engineer, I've worked for Google, eBay, and DoD, and am ready to assist you as best as I can. Sounds like a total mechanical failure, If it has very important data, stop trying to mess around with it, so many problems can hit Mecanical grives. There are places that will take the platter off in a clean room, and try and recover data, but that starts at about 2 grand USD - It's insane.