Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Computer Hardware

My laptop has two drives one is a 500 GB solid-state drive

and one is a one...
My laptop has two drives one is a 500 GB solid-state drive and one is a one TV normal Drive.
The total usage in both the drive is about 600 GB.
I want to use the system back up to back up my drives including the OS using a 1tb external drive using Acronis backup software. Can I simply use a one Tb drive and then back up everything on to that one Tb drive since I’m not really using the total 1.5 TB in my laptop
11/22/2017
Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.

True Image won't back up empty space so a 1TB drive will easily hold the contents

of your two drives.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
my hard drive crashes I can just use the drive that I backed up to and my laptop is the function of correct

Not exactly. When True Image backs up a drive to external storage, it creates a single (large) file with the

extension .tib. The .tib file contains everything on the drive. Operating system, programs and data files.

If the hard drive fails, you replace it with a new drive, boot from a rescue flash drive (created in the utilities section of TI)

and restore the .tib backup file from your external drive on to the new hard drive and you're back in business.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I want to clone the drive so that I don’t have to do anything but replace the drive I’m actually using E not a external drive but 2.5 sata Drive that I feel one if I can clone I’m d gonna put it back into the laptop
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Acronis
should let me clone it if I’m not mistaken

Cloning is an option. The problem with that is for example, you clone a drive now and your hard drive fails a year from now.

All the current data from the failed drive will not be on the drive you cloned a year ago.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
that part I am comfortable with but will acronis SOFTWARE let me clone a drive.

Yes it will if you're using a paid for version. The trial version won't let you clone.

Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech
Byron
Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech