Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I have two of your 500 Gig external drives, MDL5000E032.

Customer Question
I have two of...

I have two of your 500 Gig external drives, MDL5000E032. They were both formatted in Mac and I have data on them that I would now like to access with a Windows 7, 64 bit system. Although when I plug them in a) Windows will not recognize them and b) they spin up, click several times as if searching then spin down. This they both repeat endlessly. I have also tried MacDrive 9 and it will not see the drives. So can you please help me?

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the model of your Mac, and what operating system are you running?

Well the Mac's are long gone. I've been hanging on to these WD drives for 10 years now and I want to extract the info from them, then format them and use them for backup withWin 7.

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your Apple? What troubleshooting have you tried?

These were last used with an Apple system in December of 2008. My systems were current at that time, as this was used in a commercial Pre-Press environment. So whatever Mac system was current then

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I think this will do, if we can solve it. Thanks!

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Computer Hardware
11/20/2017
Computer technician: Damian Costa,
 replied 8 months ago
Damian Costa

Hi...My name is ***** ***** a veteran technician expert with over 20yrs of experience...I have more questions first before we begin

Computer technician: Damian Costa,
 replied 8 months ago

I've done data recovery for almost 20 years...the big question is going to be what is the value to you to recover the data on both drives (what is the most you would spend to recover it)

Then I can tell you your realistic data recovery options