Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

It will not open at all. I started it, the screen came up…

Customer Question
It will not open...

It will not open at all. I started it, the screen came up but never got to where is sign in, then went black and I can't get it to start

Technician's Assistant: What's the make and model of your machine? And how long has the screen been an issue?

Inspiration 17, 5000 series. This is the first time

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

Not that I am aware of. You know, how sometimes, you go to shut down and they do an automatic update. I am not sure if that has occurred or not.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

No, just need help

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Computer Hardware
11/19/2017
Computer technician: Russell H., Computer Repairer replied 8 months ago
Russell H., Computer Repairer

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I would advise you to try booting up in Safe Mode.

Boot up into Safe Mode as follows:

- from a powered-Off state, turn the computer On, and immediately press the F8 key, once or twice a second, until the text-only Safe Mode selection screen appears, with a highlight bar across it.
- then using up and down arrow keys, move the highlight bar to Safe Mode, and press the RETURN (or, ENTER) key, once.
- the computer will boot up in Safe Mode, a reduced mode of Windows with a less-detailed or colorless screen, into which you may log in, and then do various tests and repairs to try to get your computer's Windows fully operational again. I would advise doing a Disk Cleanup, then a Disk Scan, then perhaps also other things.

Reply and let me know whether that works for you, or not - if not, I will advise you further, esp. if you can tell me, what Windows (XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, or 10) was working on the computer before this problem happened.