Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Computer Hardware

I have a Logitech C170 Video Cam and I am unable to ghet

Customer Question
sound or picture to work...
I have a Logitech C170 Video Cam and I am unable to ghet sound or picture to work. How can I check the settings?
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: I have a desktop and using Windows 7
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have been using Skype and it has stopped working. When I do a sound check it shows on the screen but there is no sound.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Computer Hardware
11/14/2017
Computer technician: Chris L., Support Specialist replied 1 month ago
Chris L., Support Specialist

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you. Allow me a few moments to type up instructions for you.

Connect a microphone and speaker. In Skype, go to “Call > Audio Settings…”. From this menu, you can make sure Skype recognizes your connected hardware and adjust their sensitivities. When you are finished, press “Save” to return to the application.

Select the contacts search bar and type "Echo123". "Echo / Test Sound Service" will appear in the results. This is a bot service integrated into all users’ contact lists that will automatically answer your call.

Call Echo. Double-click the search result to open a conversation window. Press the “Call” button to begin a test call.

Follow the recorded instructions. Echo will prompt you to leave a message after the beep. After a few moments, a second beep will indicate the recording time is up and the message will be played back.
Not hearing the recorded instructions indicated a problem with your speakers. Not hearing the playback indicated a problem with your microphone.

Hang up to end the test. Press the red “End Call” button to hang up. If the call did not sound to your liking, go back to “Call > Audio Settings” and adjust your volume levels.

est your video. Connect your webcam. Go to “Tools > Options > Video Settings”. Your camera will be auto-detected and turned on. A sample video feed will display in the Video Settings area to preview what you will look like to others. When you are satisfied with how you look, press "Save".
Adjust your camera settings by pressing “Webcam Settings”. Here you can move the sliders to adjust brightness, contrast, etc.

If you have trouble let me know at which point you were unable to continue.
Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have tried to do the above. I have a picture but no sound yet it indicates the mic is working fine.

Is the mic separate from the camera or are they all in one?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would rather not connect with you. Can you tell me what to check? I have tried using different USB ports.
The mic & camera are one unit. I have a Logitech C170

In skype under call and audio settings do you see the meter moving when you speak?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't see any meter. Where is it located?

In skype when you click Call and choose audio settings you should see the meter directly below your mic. If no mic is selected choose your cam.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When I go to the audio settings the box shows the video cam at the top and underneath that is a line for volume. I have checked the box for automatically adjusting the volume.
Below that is line for the speakers and I have checked the box to automatically adjust the speaker volume.

On that same page with the audio settings click Make a free test call towards the bottom and let me know what happens.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It shows that it is making a test call but there is no sound.

are you using headphones or speakers? on the audio settings page does it show you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am using speakers. It shows that on the call audio settings page.

If you click the little play button next to the speakers do you hear anything? Also check the automatically adjust box for speakers.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. It shows a pulsing green bar but no sound.

do you get sounds in other programs?

I am sorry but without connecting remotely I am out of ideas, I will opt out and see if anyone else can assist you further. You will receive an email when they reply. Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay. Thanks
Computer technician: IT Miro, Computer Scientist replied 1 month ago
IT Miro, Computer Scientist

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you.

It looks like the previous Expert is not available any more. I will continue working with you on this problem until it has been resolved.

Please tell me if you still require assistance with the Skype sound problem?

Let me know by typing a reply below.

Thanks,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am still having the issue of having no sound with Skype
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Speakers work with other programs but not with Skype.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have an appointment to go to. I won't be back until after 1:00 PM EST

OK. Please check the Skype sound volume in the Windows Volume Mixer. Here are the instructions:

1. Locate the Speaker/Sound icon in the notification tray (near the clock), and right-click it and select Open Volume Mixer

In case you don't see such icon there, you can click on the Windows Start button and type volume into the search box, and then click on Adjust system volume that will appear under the search results

2. When the Volume Mixer window opens, you will see all devices and programs that use sound. You can adjust the volume for each program that is currently running. Master volume is on the far left, and on the right is a separate volume control for each program

3. Make sure to increase the volume to maximum for Skype

4. After that, restart Skype and check if you can hear the sound

Let me know the results.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I still do not get any sound. I tried making a call. We connected and I could see the called party and they could see me but we could not hear each other. I believe I did what you suggested by going to the start button and typing in volume. What do I do next?

Let's test the web cam microphone. Here is how:

1. Click the Windows Start button and type sound recorder into the search box and click on the Sound Recorder icon that appeared under the search results

2. Click on the Start Recording button and start talking to the web cam for several seconds

3. When done, click on the Stop Recording button

4. You will then be asked to save the recording as a file, so you can save it to your desktop

5. After that, locate the saved file and double-click it to play it

Let me know if you could hear the recording.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I could not hear the recording. Neither could I hear the party I skyped. I could see their mouths moving but could not hear them. I can hear sounds with other programs. It is like a switch has been turned off.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I also tried a new video Cam and didn't hear sound with it.

You may need to enable the web cam microphone first, and set it as default device. Here are the instructions:

1. Locate the Speaker icon near the clock (bottom right corner) and right-click it and then select Recording devices.

If you don't see the Speaker icon there, click the Windows Start button and then Control Panel. In the Control Panel, click on the Hardware and Sound category and then click on Sound.
2. In the Recording tab, you can see all installed microphones. Locate the one that mentions Logitech or similar, and right-click it and select Set as Default Device. That should make the web cam microphone working.

In case you don't see it listed there, then right-click on empty space there and check both check-boxes:
- Show Disabled Devices
- Show Disconnected Devices

The web cam microphone should now be listed. Right-click it and select Enable. After that, right-click it again and select Set as Default Device. You should now be able to fully use the web cam microphone.

Test again with Sound Recorder and let me know the results.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
A message shows up saying the device is working properly. When I right clicked on the enabled button nothing happened.

Please un-plug the web cam and re-plug it. Try to enable it again.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Completed the task and still no sound when I make a test call,

Please do another test with Sound Recorder and let me know if you could hear the recording.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Tried again. It shows the slide moving that it is playing but no sound.

May I know if you installed the Logitech drivers and software that came with the web cam?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I believe I did. How do I check? The camera part seem to be working because when I do a video check I can see my picture.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It was working well a few days ago. I did install some windows updates. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Some functions may work out-of-the-box, but some need to be installed. To check if you installed the Logitech software, you can click the Windows Start button and type Logitech into the search box. You should then see one or several icons from Logitech appeared under the search results.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It shows lws251 last updated 10-13-2013

Yes, that is the one. You can install it in case you haven't installed it before.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I installed the program. rebooted my computer and it still does not have sound.

OK. Please go back to Recording devices area (right-click the Sound icon near the clock and select Recording devices). Is the Logitech web cam (microphone) listed there? If so, make sure it is enabled and set as default device. A green check-box means it is a default device.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The Logitech C170 microphone is enabled. It is showing green.

Hello again!

If the problem is still there, please go back to the Recording devices area, and then right-click on the Logitech C170 microphone and select Properties. Click on the Levels tab and make sure the microphone volume is not muted. You can set volume to about middle or to maximum.

Click OK to save the changes and then test the microphone with Sound Recorder.

Let me know if you could hear the new recording.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't see the logitech C170 listed there.

In your previous reply, you mentioned that Logitech C170 microphone was enabled and was showing green.

Did it now disappear from the list in the Recording devices area?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. I found it and it still shows green.

OK. Are you able to right-click it and select Properties?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I found properties and left clicked. The level is set at 100 per cent. However when I did a test of the device. A message came up that said the computer didn't hear anything.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
However, when I left clicked on properties there was a message that says the device is working properly.

That's strange. I am not sure why it isn't working. Are you able to connect your Logitech C170 web cam to another computer to see if it will fully work there? That way you will know if the problem is with your computer or with the Logitech C170 web cam.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a lap top that already has a built in camera and mic. It does have usb ports will it work there?

Yes, you can plug it in there and it will be recognized as an external camera with microphone. Install the Logitech software there and then select your Logitech C170 web cam to be used with Skype. Here is how to do it:

1. Start Skype

2. Click on Tools at the top and then click on Options

3. Click on Audio settings on the left. For Microphone, click on the drop-down menu or click on the name of the current microphone you see (it should probably say Internal Mic) and select Logitech C170

4. After that, click on Video settings on the left. Click on the drop-down menu or click on the name of the current web cam you see (it should probably say Integrated Webcam) and then select Logitech C170

5. Click Save to save the changes

6. Do a test call in Skype using the Echo / Sound Test Service to test both the web cam and microphone

Let me know the results.

IT Miro, Computer Scientist