Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Computer Hardware

How does it take the average person to override the

How long does it take...
How long does it take the average person to override the information on someone's hard drive after deletion. iPhone 6s+ 32gig
10/13/2017
syseng
syseng, Computer Hardware Engineer

It depends upon how much the device is used and how often the device is accessed. Other factors included how often specific areas of storage are accessed as opposed to writing in other areas of the storage space. There are programs that are designed to "zero out" a drive space that renders information virtually unrecoverable. For an iPhone there are similar programs such as the one at the link below:

click here

designed for people that do not want their private information lingering on phones after they sell the phones.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you able to give a ballpark figure?

My apologies for the delay.

It depends how full the drive. If the drive is close to full - within 5% or less full then it is more likely that apps will overwrite the same space. In the same situation if the device were heavily used it would probably overwrite within a couple weeks since data such as chat messages take up a very small amount of space.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That's just storage on the phone itself, correct nothing to do with the cloud?

Yes that is correct. If the phone is being backed up to iCloud then to wipe out the data the backup should be manually deleted.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does restoring the phone to factory settings accomplish wiping it?

It helps. If I were going to wipe an iPhone for good I would use a tool such as the one mentioned earlier and then I would also reset to factory settings at least 10 times, and each time I would fill the storage drive to nearly full before the reset to overwrite the drive multiple times.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
At that point you would say everything is unrecoverable?

The more overwrites the better. Overwriting at least 10 times would make the data nearly impossible to recover.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hypothetically even from forensic analysts?

Yes. There are some very sophisticated techniques that require incineration to completely delete all data however such techniques are very expensive, do not recovery much if the drive has been overwritten multiple times, and not used by standard forensics teams.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm sorry. Can you say the last half of that again?

Sure - the wording was not all that good.

My point was that after overwriting the drive completely and doing so numerous times, even the most elaborate and expensive techniques for data recovery are not capable of recovering much if any information.

Standard forensics teams use software to capture the current storage drive image for analysis. The image they capture will only reflect what is on there now so if the data has been overwritten, their software cannot detect what may have been stored on the drive before the overwrite.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do many forensics teams use the kik recovery programs you show me earlier in the link? And also, if you could give me the odds that you kik would send me a warning message about something serious what would they be. Your great and thank you

The KIK recovery program are not used or rarely used by forensics teams. They tend to use software such as Encase along with hardware for image capture. The odds that KIK sends you a warning message are very small. Their policy is to leave KIK users alone. Even when law enforcement contacts them they generally do not take measures against any user. About the only time they might take action is if one user reports that another user is abusing the system but even then KIK investigates the report first.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if one is paranoid about being investigated solely off of a message from the "report manager" saying, "we have received information that you have been sending sexually explicit images to minors. We need to confirm this is not the case or we may take legal action," you would say...?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can I tip you
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also does kik report to law enforcement agencies of they believe there is a crime committed?

KIK also has legal obligations so the fact that they have not taken action to shutdown the account tells me that they do not have any evidence that supports the report manager statement. Also the report manager message is more than likely not from KIK because it is a communication outside their protocol.

Yes, thanks - the JA system has a bonus option :)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if in America I received that message 7.5 weeks ago and there has been absolutely no communication since...

They will work with law enforcement if approached by law enforcement but do not provide information without a warrant, so although possible it is highly unlikely that KIK will go out of their way to report a user to law enforcement.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok so kik may do an internal investigation and potentially ban them as the worst case scenario. The only way anyone would get reported to an LEA is by a civilian

Then KIK is not doing anything and any data they had on their servers is quite likely gone. When they receive a warrant they will only hold data from overwrite for 90 days. Without a warrant it is overwritten in a short time.

Yes, KIK just deletes their account.

Yes if anything did happen it would be someone, either civilian or law enforcement from outside KIK. 7.5 weeks with no communication is a long time so most likely there is no action regarding that message because in digital cases law enforcement must act fast before data is overwritten.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there anyway to know if a subpoena was issued for that account?

KIK is based in Canada so it would fall under Canadian law. I would have to research to find out if Canadian law provides a way to search subpoenas that have been issued.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you think there is anything to worry about honestly?

Honestly, since there has been no further action since the one message over 7 weeks ago, I don't believe any action is being taken at all. Most likely all the data on the account has been overwritten by now as well.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Meaning even if my phone was seized there many not even be any evidence of wrong doing at all? Photos chat account anything?

That depends upon how much it is used and is overwritten. KIK servers are constantly running and being overwritten, however phones are dependent upon the amount of activity on the phone. So the more the phone is overwritten the more likely everything about the account is overwritten. If the phone is reset to factory defaults numerous times and overwritten like mentioned earlier then there would be no evidence on the phone.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there a way to know if a subpoena has been issued in the us?

You can find court cases online however I don't believe there is a quick way to find out if a subpoena or warrant has been issued.

There are several databases online that have warrant searches such as the one at the link below:

http://publicrecords.onlinesearches.com/Warrants.htm

However I do not know about their reliability.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I appreciate it but that was not a a warrant search. Much appreciated.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your time as wellSo kik will not reach out to law enforcement at any point? They will only respond if law enforcement reaches out to them? Even if that message really was from kik, the worst that would happen is a ban from the platform?

Yes, most of those end up being advertisements for other services. However as with background checks I suspect there are some that may be legitimate.

Yes, that is KIK's policy. And if the message really was from KIK the account would have been shutdown by now.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well I deleted the app so I don't have any idea if it was

Even if the account is still active, the old data for the account on KIK servers is most likely gone.

syseng
syseng, Computer Hardware Engineer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your time. Can I ask follow ups later on if need be?

Yes, I am on Just Answer nearly everyday.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Apologies if this sounds demeaning in advance and I don't mean to be
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do you know what kicks policy is?

No worries and good question - one of the best documents about their policies is their law enforcement document that they post online to provide instructions on the approach they will and won't accept from law enforcement and also to set expectations with law enforcement as to what information KIK will provide and is capable of providing.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've seen that. Where in there does it say that they will not reach out to law enforcement agencies? (Also not to sound rude)

It states that they do not have access to conversations in the KIK system and have only short time limited access to photos/videos. There is a statement in the policy that they will reach out to law enforcement if they have "reasonable grounds" to do so, however elsewhere state that they will only release information if the proper forms are filled out. So yes, they will cooperate with law enforcement but only after they have been served a warrant or substantial proof.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
they reach out to law enforcement without a subpoena
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
With proof

If law enforcement or someone can present strong evidence then they will, however they state throughout the document that they have no access to conversations and only short term access to photos and videos. Beyond that only basic account information is what they have on each account. So that means that they have to receive proof or "reasonable grounds" before they work with law enforcement, which includes reaching out to them.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I know you probably cannot guarantee anything but what do you think the percentages are on this going somewhere vs. probably not thing

Since the message you mentioned was received 7.5 weeks ago and there has been no communication since that time, I believe it is highly unlikely that anything will happen and will most likely just go away.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How does the photo DNA too work?

It creates a hash (string of numbers and letters) from digital photos that is unique for each digital photo. Then the hash for each photo is used to search a database of photo hash strings to identify photos when scanning storage. Since computers cannot "see" photos to recognize the content, the use of hash strings to match photo files to known photo file hash strings gives computers the ability to identify photo types and content as long as the photo hash is in the Photo DNA database.

Just letting you know that I will be stepping away from the computer for awhile.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Final question if you get to it.How does the computer know which images are illegal

The only way it can know with the Photo DNA tool is if the tool includes a hash of the illegal image in its database. So if an image is new and has not been entered in the database then the Photo DNA tool would only show that the image file found does not match anything in the database.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If kik did report to law enforcement, would you guarantee that the account would be shut down? I did log back in and saw that the message was from the kik team bot but the account is active and I am not banned.

My apologies for the delay - I had to step away from the computer to address an urgent matter yesterday.

KIK most likely left the account open and are monitoring the account, and the message was a "warning," meaning they have not reported to law enforcement and instead are inquiring of you to "to confirm this is not the case" as stated in the message. It means they have reports but do not have evidence.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
should it ever happen again, that's when the report would happen? Now that we are sixty days from the initial message and there hasn't been one bad thing on the account since, you think this is done with?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Or just "a" report. Not necessarily multiple
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I must think they send that message out 1000 times a day

Yes, it would be the same message sent to anyone they think is violating their terms of service in that way.

Yes, given the amount of time that has passed, I believe it is over. The message essentially informs and warns you. If there was a report to law enforcement, there would not be a warning.

KIK has a business to run. They are working on cleaning up their reputation which has been tarnished. I see the message as an attempt to do just that.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Reporting to an LEA would hurt that and just wants this to go away? If it continued they wouldn't have a choice but if they are able to avoid reporting it, they will?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the kik team warned me that they received a report but will report it if it ever would happen again? If it was a scare tactic it worked haha. Doesn't like server not have any more information on me anyways?

Yes, I agree, it is more of a scare tactic. They would rather the issue go away then report to law enforcement.

Agreed, most likely any information that their servers were storing is gone now that it has been over 60 days.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If it were to have been reported to an LEA would the account have been terminated already?

Most likely yes because if they reported it to an LEA, the only reason to leave the account open would be for an LEA to interact with you. Since there has been no further communication sent to you, that again points to the message being a warning.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well I did delete the account so I can't be positive that no one tried to reach me, but do you believe that they would ban me before reporting me?

Yes, I believe they would shutdown your account first as a way to protect their business.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you give me a percent chance that this is over in your OPINION
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How long are the up addresses kept on file for them?

I believe the percent chance it is over is more than 90%.

They do not state a limit to how long IP addresses are stored. However since the account is deleted, that information will soon be gone if it is not already.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well just yesterday I logged in to see if there was any activity and I can't deactivate it now that the email is deleted. But regardless, they don't have any photos or text indicating any wrongdoing.

If they do not have any text or photos or other content indicating wrong doing then you have nothing to worry about. KIK will not contact any LEA without substantial evidence, and LEA will not waste time on a case based only on a verbal report with no evidence when there are plenty of cases in which solid evidence does exist.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well they don't save the text or photos. The reports or only saved for a short period so there shouldn't be anything at all except for a an ip if it's still there and the list of people contacted
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Correct me if I'm wrong

Yes that is correct. And the IP address and list of people contacted is not evidence enough for an investigation by LEA.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are up addresses also deleted in approximately 30 days
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I hope I'm not bothering you with all of these questions

No, no worries :)

They don't state when the IP addresses and contact information is deleted. However, since most Internet IP addresses are dynamically assigned, an IP address would only point them to an Internet service provider that would then have to research to what device on their network the IP address was assigned at the time specified. Usually there is substantial work and even a warrant required to obtain that information as well.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Right but when the new users are added does it delete the information of the older iPad addresses?

Yes, eventually since there is no need for them to hold on to the information.

There is just no indication of how long before the IP addresses are deleted because they also do not know exactly how long before the IP addresses and other information on an account will be deleted.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What is a historical ip addresses
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there a point in time that you would guarantee nothing is happening

If nothing has happened for 90 days, then most likely nothing will happen at all. If they were to take action now it may even be too late honestly, given that the data needed for evidence is most likely gone.

Historical IP addresses are just those IP addresses that have been recorded as used by the account. Those are the IP addresses assigned by the Internet service provided issued to the service user.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But right now you would still say that kik didn't report anything and Lea doesn't know

Yes, based on the message you received I would say that is the case. And since there is no more activity on your account, it is even less likely that anything will happen.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

You're welcome :)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Have you heard of messages like these going out before?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm just crying worrying about it. I'm so sorry for all of this.

My apologies for the delay.

Occasionally other social media platforms send out similar messages, so it does not surprise me if KIK is now doing the same. Since it has been over 60 days since the last activity took place on the account, most likely nothing will happen.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are the media cases you see an accurate depiction of how long the process takes?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Have you never heard of kik doing this before now?

No, this is the first time I have heard of KIK sending a message like that.

Cases can take some time however, digital evidence must be gathered quickly. For that reason I believe it is highly unlikely that any further action will be taken.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do know that the message had a purple hexagaon next to its profile picture. Is there a way to know if it's really kik or a scam?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I read that kik only has two accounts: kik team, and kikKin or something like that. They usually also have a green star. This one only had the purple hexagon

Oh OK, well that is definitely a bot. The purple hexagon is supposed to be used to let you know that you are chatting with a bot.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Correct, but is it a kik bot or does the kik bot have a unique identifier.

I am not aware of a unique identifier for KIK bots.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What does the green star mean next to kik users pictures mean?

That's a KIK team member account. I believe promotional accounts are included in that as well.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if it was really from kik it would have had a green star, not a purple hexagon?

Yes, so the message was from a bot.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Meaning it was someone getting joy from scaring the hell out of me and kik did not really receive any reports or report anything!?!?!?!?

Yes, that's correct since the message had the purple hexagon so was definitely a bot.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Why would anyone do that?

I am guessing that someone either decided they were going to be a vigilante or perhaps just a prank.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Seeing the sixty day gap, now very doubtful that it was even a real message, and that there hasn't even been any contact from anyone in that time would you say your pretty damn close to positive in saying that I'm safe?

Yes, given all those factors, I would say you are safe.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for all the great work and supports. Can I write back if need be?

You're welcome and yes you can post here if you need further assistance.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Unfortunately upon further research I found that verified kik accounts only have the purple bolt next to them now like every other bot. I still don't know if it was real, seeing that apparently scams like this happen a lot. One thing I do know for an absolute fact is that at first 8 weeks ago it said report manager as their first and last name and it was a bot.

Hmmm then they must have changed things recently. Still though, the message came from a bot and not from a KIK team member and it has been a long time since that message with no activity.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How can you tell it's a bot and not kik

Because it has the purple hexagon.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The way I see it, it was either an automatic report from kik (real) and seeing as the account is still active kik didn't report to LEA OR it was a fake bot trying to scare me. Either way I'm safe. Can I get your opinion?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also I don't want to push you into saying what I'm putting out there. Tell me your honest opinion.

I believe the message was from a bot someone made to try and scare you and the bot sends similar messages to others. For that reason I believe that nothing will happen, especially since it has been a long time since you received the message so most likely all information on their servers from previous messages has been overwritten.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Have you heard of messages like this from bots before?

Yes, but not on KIK. Still since it is a bot it is most likely benign.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do know for a fact that it is a bot of some sort. Would you ever send a message to kik support on my behalf?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It doesn't seem like it would make sense to send this out to someone..
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If it was legit
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would appreciate it
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you free?

My apologies for the delay - I was away from my computer.

I think the best thing to do is not call attention to the issue. Give it about 30 days more just to be sure that all information has been overwritten - and the reason I say 30 days is because it has already been over 60 days and they mention placing a hold on information for 90 days when requested which implies that 90 days is a long time for them to hold data without overwriting it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok.
syseng
syseng
syseng, Computer Hardware Engineer