Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Not sure if I picked the right category. I purchased a web…

Customer Question
Hi Not sure if I picked...
Hi
Not sure if I picked the right category.I purchased a web camera to use for checking who is going in and out of my home.
I want to put the web camera inside and I managed to set it up and can see it on my iPhone.Now I want to find a way to record the data so that I can see what happened for example yesterday. Up to one week back.
I would like to see it as video. Not just photos.I expect some kind of cloud solution and expect to pay a monthly fee for it.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Computer Hardware
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/9/2017
Computer technician: Dan, Computer Support Specialist replied 6 months ago
Dan, Computer Support Specialist

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today. Can you tell me please the make and model of your webcam?

Hi it is actually a door bell type.
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/door-camera-wireless
BUT I just want to use it as a web camera inside. Not the push button or other functions
I use an APP named iSmartBell for my iPhone to monitor the room (my entrence) and it works fine.
There is a facility on the App to record and it works but I want the recording to take place all the time and see an old recording

Which camera? There are several on the link you sent me.

Hmm.
Wireless WiFi Remote Video Camera Door Phone Doorbell Intercom Monitor Security
https://www.gearbest.com/surveillance-camera-system/pp_353071.html?currency=DKK&vip=1041011&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvOzOBRDGARIsAICjxod_7Pi68mPzw5PZ9wy-GuyhsGZ9778xyUtNd7oM5M4Pj1REqgKkSrQaAkULEALw_wcB

This camera appears as though it can only provide a series of still photos when it detects motion and no actual video. I can recommend a good software program for you but it will only operate in conjunction with the ability of the camera.

Possibly but it may not send actual video when it detects motion. Try this LINK and see if this will work for you.

In the setting of the camera I can use the function you talk about (detect motion) but I want to use it to constant record the room.I checked out the link you sent me but it looks as if the files are stored on my hard drive.That is not what I want. I want it to be stored in the cloud so I dont have to have my PC online

Okay then check this LINK.

I watched the small video and it looks like the right system and I can see that the price for 4 hours is free and 7 days is 6 USD per camera.
So that is the option that I want.
Only thing is that I dont see my camera on the list of supported cameras

I was afraid you might not. Those doorbell cameras are relatively new and not actually considered true web or streaming camera's. You may need to consider a different type if you want to record continuous video to cloud storage.

Hmm. So are you saying that what I am looking at doing does not seem to be possible ?

It is provided you use the proper type of camera. The doorbell cameras were just not made to interact with video surveillance software, at least not yet anyway?

as I understand you the task can not be solved.
I will go to bed now. Time here is 3.11 at night.

Try searching for Foscam or Amcrest cameras. That will solve the problem and provide you with good quality video.

I does that mean that in the end the conclusion is that I cannot use the camera that I got ??

I think you will have a very difficult time making it work with any of the available surveillance software. IP and Web camera's use specific protocols to communicate with those programs. If your camera is not meant to connect in that manner, then it will not work as far as recording video is concerned. Using a IP type surveillance camera will give you more options and better video at about the same price.

Dan, Computer Support Specialist