Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Computer Hardware

On my external hardrive I had an several programs on it that

my friend installed for me.The...
On my external hardrive I had an several programs on it that my friend installed for me.The other day 3 of the programs turned into a DAT file Is there anyway I can change that back to an application and get my program back.I recently purchased a recovery software because I deleted some videos on my sd card I'm using that as we speak to get it back Is that going to work or ask my friend to reinstall them
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/7/2017
Russell H., Computer Repairer

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Try simply starting those programs, without 'looking at' the external hard drive. Can they start, or do they fail with an error message? if so, what is the message?

I had shortcuts on the desktop and they have also changed from the original logo to looks like a document perhaps but it gives me a message stating that the shotcut is invalid

OK, something happened, obviously.

Is your computer a Windows PC or an Apple computer? I need to know, in order to direct your next step to solving this problem.

I tried on 2 computers both windows 7

OK, then. If you wish I can try remotely connecting to your computer - with your approval only - and see to getting a way worked out through this problem, for a small additional fee.

If you would rather not, then I can also instruct you toward a solution, somewhat more slowly.

Let me know which approach you would prefer, and I will help you as needed.

telephone?

(I regret that I am not able to offer Live Phone Call service at this time; However, your request for phone service, if you register it formally, will still open to other Experts in this category, and one of them may pick up on it at any time.)

If it makes it faster for you why not

Let me know if you would like me to connect to your computer.

no thanks

OK, then please right-click on one of the icons or shortcuts that now looks like a document. Choose Properties.

Then tell me, what is the 'Target' shown, on the General tab?

yellow triangle pops up with ! target box is not valid make sure path and file name are correct

Click with the right-hand mouse button, once, on the shortcut.

Choose Properties.

It won't let me go to the general tab the message will pop up

Right-hand mouse button. Does that work?

Place the mouse cursor over one of the defective- or changed-looking shortcuts.

Right-click with the mouse's right-hand button, once only, not twice. A small menu should appear.

Click on 'Properties' in that menu.

OK so far?

far so good

In the Properties sheet, left-button click, once, on the top of the 'General' tab, if it is not already showing.

Then in the General tab, look for the Target. OK so far? found it?

When I click on properties the shortcut tab pops up I go to click on the general tab and the yellow icon pops up

Click on Properties with the left-hand mouse button. That should open the Properties sheet.

(If this seems tedious... this is why I proposed to do a remote-control session. They can be much quicker.)

it does

OK. Is the Properties sheet open to the General tab?

If so, look for the Target: field. What is in it?

no the shortcut tab opens

OK, no General tab. What's in the Target field for the Shortcut?

I see target type target location target start in shortcut key run which one are you asking for

Target.

T:/Programs/Demand.exe

OK. Demand.exe must be one of the programs on your hard drive. If that's the target of the shortcut, the only thing keeping the shortcut from working when double-clicked upon its icon... would be if the external hard drive were

1. not connected, or

2. not recognized by your computer, or

3. defective and so not responding to the computer when connected to it.

What do you think? if you look in

Start - Computer

when the external drive is connected, do you see an icon for it there? perhaps a T: icon, or perhaps some other drive letter?

I think it might be defective I see it's there. would a recovery software like wondshare data recovery fix it or is it something going on with the external hardrive to the point where it has to be reinstalled again

I'm not sure yet. We're getting a little ahead of ourselves here.

Now please test the external hard drive, if you see its drive letter T:, and its icon, in

Start - Computer.

Double-click on the T: icon. What opens? what do you see?

I see: data
programs
DATA
CRS
Estimator
readme
runMeFirstOnNewComputer

Good. Double-click on PROGRAMS, to enter/open that folder, please.

What is in that folder? anything named 'Demand'?

i do
There are 2 Demand one with file folder and one with DAT file

Demand.exe is what the Shortcut on your computer, 'points to', its Target in short.

T:\Programs\Demand.exe

specifically. Now, is there anything but a DEMAND folder and a DEMAND.DAT there? on the T: external drive.

no there's the other programs that work other than Demand

How about the DEMAND folder that you say is within the Programs folder on your T: drive?

Double-click on that, please, and tell me what you see.

I see a bunch of stuff anything in particular you want to see in mind

Is there another file (esp. a program file!) named DEMAND in what you see on the T: drive now?

no
when i double click on one of the icons the name programs pops up I double click it and then it says the folder is empty

Then the DEMAND program would seem to have uninstalled itself of of your external hard drive.

If the DEMAND.exe program is missing from where the shortcut points to on the T: drive, and there is no DEMAND.exe program file anywhere within 'Programs' on the T: drive - and we seem to have established that is the case - then, you need to have your friend re-install Demand.exe (and the other programs too perhaps) onto the external hard drive once again.

(The only puzzle is, what happened to them? I don't know what's going on, but the results seem indubitable.)

Would you have any more questions about this matter? or would you be willing to close the case and rate my work now?

Would wondershare data recovery fix this problem or not?
Could there be a problem with my external hardrive like defective or something that's why it dissappeared

I'm not sure that it would. The real question to ask first is, what happened?

Did you run a Wondershare recovery on the T: external drive already? or a System Restore on the computer ?

Was the program pirated, did it throw an error message the last time you used it, or was it otherwise likely to have 'uninstalled itself' ?

Depending upon the answers to these queries, I would advise you variously.

I'm trying the recovery program right now as we speak.I know it's not pirated because he showed me the installation disc he got from the store.I used it one day and the next day this happened no signs of any kind came up.The external hardrive is called blackweb not good quality or something? Anyway I'll try the recovery program and see what happens.Thanks for all your help.

OK. That might yield something, but perhaps your external hard drive is simply defective and corrupted. 'Blackweb' is not a recognized brand name, it might be 'cheap', perhaps.

Before you go, would you be willing to rate my work on this case?

ok

Thanks... please rate my work, in Reply and/or using the five-star rating interface on the JustAnswer page - a five-star rating best expresses appreciation of the work I have done. Thank you, ***** ***** luck with the recovery program! and have a good day.

Russell H., Computer Repairer
Russell H., Computer Repairer