Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I'm not terribly computer literate. I want to back up my…

Customer Question
I'm not terribly computer...

I'm not terribly computer literate. I want to back up my Mach Air. I backed it up two years ago on Seagate Backup Plus Slim for Mac. I can't remember how to do it. I just downloaded the dashboard, but what do I do now?

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the model of your Mac, and what operating system are you running?

I have a MacBook Air and I'm using OSX Yosemite version 10.10.5

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

I'm not sure. In what programs?

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

It has been running very slow at home so I thought I would back it up and then call Apple Care to see if I can clean it up somehow. However, it might be my wi-fi system at home, too. Last night it was so slow, it would hardly function.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Computer Hardware
10/1/2017
Computer technician: Russell H., Computer Repairer replied 10 months ago
Russell H., Computer Repairer

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Before I can advise you how to proceed, please tell me whether you want to do a full/complete backup of all your data, a full backup of the whole computer system, data and programs and everything, or just a lesser sort of backup of any sort?

I think I would like to do a full backup.
That's all I need to know is how to use the machine. I used it before and it wasn't that difficult, but I can't figure out how to start the backup now.

If the Seagate drive is connected, well and good.

Open Time Machine - if you have that backup-and-restore program.

If not, if no Time Machine, then what program do you have? you need a backup program, or to choose which backup program to use, or perhaps remember what program you used before. Let me know. I will advise you.

Thank you, ***** *****'d like to talk to you, but every time I try to do anything on this program, it is asking me for money. I already paid $69 for the machine, it shouldn't be that hard to do. I don't trust giving my credit card and then thinking every word I say is probably going to show up on my credit card, especially things that charge you every month. I have someone locally that I can go for advice tomorrow. I had just wanted to get this done today. Thank you for trying, but I hope this hasn't cost anything so far. I think I'll pass on advice for now.

We do not bill by every word; we bill by whether you receive help and approve the help as satisfactory. I cannot help you if you cannot communicate with me.

I have no power over charges, billing, no access to your credit information. For all such concerns I must refer you to Customer Support at JustAnswer.com. They may be reached at

***@******.***

or through Chat or Phone by way of this page:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us

Thanks Russell.

You're welcome. Have a great day. Ask another question here at need, and welcome.