Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I have a 4t WD external drive (passport) just recently

Customer Question
Hi, I have a 4t WD...
I have a 4t WD external drive (passport) just recently purchased (4 Months ago)
taking advantage of the WD Security that come with it, I pass worded the device.
Unfortunately I missed the caveat about using the HD only on Win 7 or newer, and opened the files on a very powerful Windows laptop that uses Win XP.
I read the files and closed the HD properly. When I tried to used the HD on a Win 10 machine, the WD Security opened the HD however I now get a "corrupted file" msg.
In checking the properties of the Hd it reports that the device is working properly so the hardware is not the problem.
I suspect a FAT issue or an address issue, but need help opening the files. (2 Teribyte) Reformatting is not a viable option.
Is there a way to get past the "corrupt files" msg to see where the issue lies.
Windsong73
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Computer Hardware
9/27/2017
Computer technician: Aparna Indresh,
 replied 10 months ago
Aparna Indresh

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Computer technician: Aparna Indresh,
 replied 10 months ago

Please let me know if you are still facing the issue so that we can try to Recover the corrupted file and check what is happening.

the WD external hd is still corrupted, the file system is indicated as RAW rather than NTFS.

I still need assistance in recovering the files.

Computer technician: Aparna Indresh,
 replied 10 months ago

Could you please try opening the file in windows XP or windows 7 again and check whether you are able to read the files or not.

windows XP nor Windows 7 will open the files.

do you understand what NTFS / RAW is?

do you understand what NTFS / RAW is?

Computer technician: Aparna Indresh,
 replied 10 months ago

Yes i do understand these are the files system so you want to convert RAW to NTFS correct?

that is correct

Computer technician: Aparna Indresh,
 replied 10 months ago

Thank you Please refer this link https://www.easeus.com/resource/raw-file-system-to-ntfs.htm to check how we can convert RAW to NTFS and let me know if this helps.