Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop computer that is less than one…

Customer Question
I have a Dell...

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop computer that is less than one year old. I have two additional monitors set up and working. The third monitor is not recognized using a usb port to HDMI conversion device. How can I set up this 3rd monitor so that it becomes recognized ?

Technician's Assistant: What's the make and model of your computer? Have you had problems with the USB port in the past?

I'm sorry but I'm new to windows where can I find the exact specs of my laptop ?

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your Dell? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Best Buy

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Computer Hardware
9/25/2017
Computer technician: Kris Rodgers, IT Manager replied 10 months ago
Kris Rodgers
Kris Rodgers, IT Manager

Hi
Sorry for the delay, we are busy and I've just got to your question.
How long has this been happening?
Thanks
Kris

Hi Kris,
Thank you for for your response. Today is the first attempt at setting up a third monitor.

Does this work with no USB?

Just need to check your graphics card is supported by 3 monitors?

Unfortunately that is the only port I have available on my laptop. The HDMI port and the other port are all being used.
No outgoing VGA port from my laptop available, but all the HP monitors have a VGA port.

That wont work If you're using an external graphics card can you give me the card type?

I have the first monitor working out of the HDMI port, the second monitor working out of the small port using a C-Type cable to HDMI monitor port, so the only other port I have available is one USB port.

That wont work, the USB monitor will work for secondary screening but you would need to get another graphics card to support three.

The short answer is it supports 3, the monitor built in and two others but not 4.

Regards

Kris

Thank you for finding out.

Sorry!

Note: Can you please rate me at the top so I am credited with my time, 5/5 gives me most credit and would be much appreciated. Thanks.