Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I have an Iomega 35423 external hard drive, 1TB. use it

Customer Question
I have an Iomega...

I have an Iomega 35423 external hard drive, 1TB. use it mainly as a storage for back-ups. Deleted all files to create more space but it still says it is full... ?

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer do you have?

MacBook Pro

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

No

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

No TY

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Computer Hardware
9/22/2017
Computer technician: Jon, Computer Support Specialist replied 9 months ago
Jon
Jon, Computer Support Specialist

Hi my name is***** allow me take a look at your original question so I don’t miss any details.

I am just curious, how did you delete all the files? Did you drag the files off manually and drag them into the trash?

If so try using the disk utility app on your mac by either searching using spotlight or look in applications/utilities. If you want to erase this drive completely, in the left side menu of disk utility choose the name of the drive you are speaking of. Then on the right hand side choose "erase" at the top and then name the drive and then click erase. The process shoudl not take to long.

If I have helped in any way, please consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help.

If for some reason you still need help, please do not rate my services in a negative way but instead just let me know what happened or what did not work and I will continue to help you troubleshoot the issue.

Ok
Answer please?

However, if you don't want to erase the entire drive and you dragged the files to the trash manually, make sure to empty the trash while the drive is connected to your mac. Then see if it still shows that its full.

cant find Disk Utility

Applications/utilities or you can click the magnifying glass icon in the top right corner near the time and type in disk utility.

From the desktop you can click "go " at the top of the screen and then choose "applications" then navigate to the "utilities" folder and it should be in there.

got it

OK now if you want to erase this drive completely, in the left side menu choose the name of the drive you are speaking of. Then on the right hand side choose "erase" at the top and then name the drive and then click erase.

But like I was saying if you do not want to erase the entire drive, make sure your drive is plugged in and then check your mac's trash and empty the trash. When deleting files to the trash from an external HD it still leaves temporary hidden files on the external HD until you empty the trash with it connected.

any luck?

Did you still need help? Were you able to try the instructions I previously posted for you? If all is good, please still consider to rate my services with the stars next to my name as it helps others know I am here to help. If not please let me know what happened so we can continue.