Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Computer Hardware

I'm interested in buying new ssd and found something new

Hi, I'm interested in buying...
Hi, I'm interested in buying new ssd and found something new I've never herd about before. There are ssds with formfactor M2, like this: Samsung 960 Pro series 512GB M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 3D V-NAND (MZ-V6P512BW), which should have read spead up to 3 GB/s. I would like to hear professional's opinion and some descriptions how does it work, which PC/Laptop it is compatible with
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your laptop, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: Acer Aspire V3-574G-77RB (NX.G1UEU.008) windows 10
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: all of them I guess)
JA: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm little confused with all this terms like M.2 PCL3 3.0\2.0 x1\x2\x4. I really want to sort it out.
9/22/2017
sjena1982
sjena1982, Computer Enthusiast

Hi ,

Welcome to Justanswer.com .

Your exisiting model will support 2.5 inch SSD models .

The newer model like thin laptops are now coming with Mw form factor which is 3 times faster that 2.54 inch SSD .

You can buy the M2 models you have specified but after that you need to buy an encloser for M2 which will convert that to 2.5 inch form factor like below

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-2-5-Inch-Aluminum-Enclosure-EC-M2SA/dp/B01N6PMZLW .

Thanks

Satchi

Will it work on full speed? I mean SATAIII has lower speed limit than ssd model I sent you. And what does it mean M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4?

Yes it will work upto 6gbps data transfer .

An M.2 SSD utilizes the PCIe data lanes on a motherboard to send and receive information, which is why that are referenced

Just to clarify, 6gbps this is 6 Giga Byte or Bit per second?

bits per second

Samsung 960 Pro series has speed up to 3 giga bytes per second, that means that there is not sense to buy this ssd because it will work on the same speed as simple 2.5 ssd?

Yes you are correct . For older model the upgrade is not so helpful .

sjena1982
sjena1982, Computer Enthusiast
Ok, thank you
sjena1982
sjena1982
sjena1982, Computer Enthusiast