Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I have a M525 mouse that is only a few months old. I got a…

Customer Question
I have a M525...

I have a M525 mouse that is only a few months old. I got a new one because my last one started double clicking. This one has been working fine until recently but had now started to double click. What can I do? Do I have to buy a new one every few months?

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer do you have?

HP Pavillion

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

No

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Computer Hardware
9/16/2017
Computer technician: Russell H., Computer Repairer replied 11 months ago
Russell H., Computer Repairer

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Double-clicking is purely optional, I'm sure. The problem you ask about is quite unusual, so that may be taken for a given and for sure.

What Windows is on your HP Pavilion, please?

(And do you eat or drink anywhere near your mouse, either the new M525, or the old mouse? I have to ask, it could affect the question.)

Windows 7I drink ice tea near the mouse but I careful not to spill anything.
I don't see the need for you to connect to my computer.

That's OK. I think I can deal with this problem without connecting.

It's good not to spill fine crumbs into anything like a switch or a button - they induce painful problems.

As for double-clicking with the current mouse: does double-clicking always happen, recently, even when you are sure you have single-clicked?

It is getting worse. I definitely know that I am single clicking.

Please explain - it might be a crucial clue - 'getting worse' - how can double-clicking when single-clicking get any worse?

I notice it more if I am playing a game to kill time.
If I play solitare I have trouble dragging a card.

Please explain what you mean by the problem getting worse. It might be crucial information.

Getting worse is that it is happening more frequently.

So it doesn't come on suddenly, but just sort of occasionally happened at first.

Did the replacing of the old mouse solve the problem altogether for a time?

Initially it was occasional. The problem was resolved with this new mouse. There were no problems for a few months and then this started.
I guess I'll just buy another mouse. You do not seem to be familiar with this issue.

I am familiar with the issue. Logitech mouse users complain about it a lot... I was refreshing my acquaintance further. A suggestion:

- go to Device Manager and under "Mice and other pointing devices" do you see two drivers?

But if you'd rather replace it, that's fine - and might, perhaps, be the solution.

I'll go to the device manager. One moment.
I'm at the mouse properties and do not see two drivers.

OK. Which driver do you see under the mouse/pointing device branch?

Not sure if this is what you want: HID-compliant mouse and it is on there twice.

Oh! two representations of it both under the same 'Mouse and pointing devices' branch of the Device Manager listings?

Then you might have a software problem. Shall we pursue it? I have gotten the clue I need, the rest will be mostly directions.

Okay

All right. Now, for Windows 7, and a M525 mouse by Logitech, a certain procedure needs to be followed... which will take me a few minutes to type in, please...

I'm hoping you are still typing.

The important thing is to have only one HID driver, or only one mouse driver (given that only a real crank of an unusual degree of ineptness, tries to have two mice at once on one computer.)

They interfere with each other. Who knows, both drivers may occasionally 'click'-react, when only one is supposed to.

The other HID driver is for your former mouse, beyond much doubt.

Go into each HID driver, by double-clicking on the entry to open the Properties for it. Does either one specify what mouse it is for?

If so, Uninstall (under Drivers tab of its Properties) or else Disable, the one that ISN'T your M525's driver/HID driver/etc.

Does that work? if they aren't labeled as to which mouse they are for, there's another way to do this.

They seem to both say the same thing. They say they were installed in 2006. Obviously I started using the new one in 2017

They are probably software installed in 2006 or written in 2006 more likely.

So... since we cannot eliminate the one we're sure is for the old mouse, we will have to... first check in

Start - Control Panel - View Devices and Printers (under Hardware section). Are there two mouse logos there? if so, is one labeled as M525 more or less, and the other the old mouse's model?

Only says mouse - does not show two. when I click on it, it takes me to the mouse properties which shows the two HID...
The device manager shows mouse and then underneath it again shows the two.

OK. Let's try this at random to save some time, then... go back to Device Manager (after closing View Devices and Printers), and select one HID driver at random.

Uninstall it (in its Drivers tab.)

That's it. Restart your computer. See whether Device Manager still has your one - or two - HID drivers in it.

And the risk factor: see whether your mouse still works! if it doesn't, there are ways out of the problem.

Or we could do a slower, less risk-prone approach. Let me know, if so...

What is the less risk approach?
Restarting the computer without a mouse would be risky.
I wonder if I could update one of the drivers

OK. That makes sense. Just a moment...

Here's a different approach: do you have another mouse?

If so, disconnect the M525, connect the other mouse. Use it to uninstall the M525 software. And/or the two, both, of the HID mouse drivers.

Then:

Restart with the other mouse. Verify that other mouse still works... if it doesn't then re-attach the M525 and let it reinstall itself, hopefully improving the situation.

That ought to be safe.

LOL - Sounds good but no - I do not have another mouse. I appreciate your "help" but I'll decide later whether to buy another mouse and just start all over. Thanks again. Hope your next question will be more productive. Will I get a copy of our conversation sent to my e-mail?

You can see a copy of your conversation here:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer-hardware/aojyo-m525-mouse-few-months-old.html

As for whether my conversation was productive or not - yes, you could perhaps have a defective switch in the Logitech mouse. Some have switched to other brands, found them more lasting. Others have approached the problem other ways. The question I've contributed is, at least:

- check your Device Manager after getting the new mouse working... three HID drivers? if so, you have the problem I have brought to your attention. And multiple clicking may ensue (why not immediately? I don't know, I admit.)

- or, two HID drivers? still may have a problem.

- or, two HID drivers and a specific driver for your new mouse? then, Uninstall the two HID drivers! and I will have helped you prevent a problem.

- or, only one HID driver there, then? that would be a hopefully lasting solution then.

- or, only one HID driver and a specific driver for your new mouse? then Uninstall the one HID driver. And plain sailing from there on, I should hope!

If this answers your question usefully and gives you hope for a good lasting solution, please indicate whether you would like to rate my answer. Cheers, ***** ***** luck with a new mouse.