Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
13568747

I saved some video movies in USB memory stick (USB 3.0) and

I saved some video movies in USB memory stick (USB 3.0) and tried on computer which is XP shows error massage as "The disk in drive E is not formatted" Maybe there is no driver for USB 3.0?

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Windows XP and USB 3.0 is a good question! tell me first: What maker and model is the computer?

And do you know whether it is set for Legacy USB, or not? that can affect USB drive accessibility.

But I must warn you, as you seem to already know: don't format that USB stick. The bad message about needing to format it may indeed be a matter of adjustments of settings, or incapacity for the task of reading the stick. So let me know a bit more about the case, and I will tell you the best way to treat this problem, safely for your data.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Dell dimension 9100
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not sure what legacy is

OK. Legacy USB mode is a feature in the BIOS Setup on some PCs. I will have to look up your specific model, though, to determine whether you should check that, and if so, where it is in the Setup - and on the other hand, whether any ports on the Dimension 9100 are USB 3., also. If you'll give me some time to do that, I will get back to you with further instructions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok

Supposedly Windows 7 does not contain support for USB 3, but (again, supposedly) if you install drivers from the manufacturer, it will gain that capability.

I have a page with some recommended downloadable Dell-issed drivers for the Dimension 9100 model... but, it was originally released for Windows XP (which definitely did NOT support USB 3) ... so, maybe the drivers will help, maybe they won't, and they might even not work/not install, at all.

Go to this page,

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/dimension-9100/drivers

and select to download only the BIOS and the Chipset drivers. Those are the ones most likely to install USB 3 capability. After installing those, if they even install... being for Windows XP, they might well 'choke' a bit or a lot... try

a restart of the Dell 9100 PC

then, see if a USB 3 memory stick, attached after that install of Chipset and BIOS from Dell, and a restart, might actually work.

Let me know how it goes, please. (If you need further assistance, you may also have me work on your PC remotely, too, for a small added fee, if you wish and so choose.)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
worked, thanks

I'm glad to hear that my detailed suggestion really helped with the problem of USB 3 device usage on your Dell 9100 PC's USB ports. Before you go, please rate my answer - a five-star rating best expresses appreciation of the work I have done. Thank you, ***** ***** a great day.