Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I have a asus zenbook which uses a SSD. The computer was…

Customer Question
I have a asus zenbook...
I have a asus zenbook which uses a SSD. The computer was perfect until yesterday afternoon and in the evening it suddenly would just go to Aptio setup utility. The computer technician told me to send the computer to a data recovery company and they gave me below response"Failure : Internal Encryption. With this specific drive, we are limited to the electrical and controller level. Unfortunately trying to read/extract raw data off the individual chips is not an option because this model uses internal encryption. This encryption is not a 3rd party software loaded after it was purchased. This encryption is built into the SSD when it is manufactured. Unfortunately, there is no way to by-pass this encryption to allow us access to the raw data at the individual chip level. This device has been determined unrecoverable"I am at a complete loss, how can this happen? How can a big manufacturer like Asus automatically encrypt data in such a way that the data would not be receoverable in case the SSD goes bad. Does not seem right to me. I am sure SSDs go bad all the time and internal encruption which prevents data access seems so dumb. I want to know what are my options at this point. I am in Northern VA, I really need the data. Please help
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Computer Hardware
9/9/2017
Computer technician: Pete, Computer Expert replied 9 months ago
Pete, Computer Expert

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

Did you turn on encryption?

Do you have a backup of the data to recover from?

I did not turn on any encryption. I do not know how to do that. The data recovery company is saying it is some automatic encyption on SSD which prevents them from accessing data. I have backup data from 2 months ago which is fine but basically I do not have 2 months of data as I did not do a backup after that.Is there a way to access this data from automatic encrypted SSD

There is no way around ASUS's encryption.