Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I need to have my Samsung MU-PT108 SSD DRIVE PASSWORD RESET.

Customer Question
I need to have...

I need to have my Samsung MU-PT108 SSD DRIVE PASSWORD ***** How do I go about getting this done?

Technician's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

I have only had it a few hours. My computer crashed and I lost all my files including text files with my passwords.

Technician's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I can try.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have already formatted the SSD so data loss is not a concern.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Computer Hardware
9/8/2017
Computer technician: Webb-Tech,
 replied 9 months ago
Webb-Tech

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. Is this an appliance you are having this trouble with or a computer?

It is a 1 Terabyte Solid State USB Drive.
What I need to know is there a way I can do a FACTORY RESET ON THIS THING. IF NOT I AM OUT $280.00 FOR A TINY BRICK!
Computer technician: Webb-Tech,
 replied 9 months ago

I will move your question over to the computer category.

Thank you...
Computer technician: Chris R., Computer Tech replied 9 months ago
Chris R.
Chris R., Computer Tech

Hello my name is***** and I would be happy to assist you. You are not out money for this and it not bricked. I assume you are talking about the HDD security password ***** you can set as an optional feature for the HDD. I have reviewed your information and the model of the SSD you have and you will need to contact Samsung Support for them to help you remove the password. This is because it is using encryption that without serious hacking only Samsung can unlock. The Factory reset erases all data but you said this is not an issue. I think you will find that this will be resolved fairly easily and you certainly are not the first to have this problem. Thank you

No! It is obvious you people know little about my issue, I am taking the SSD to a Samsung Service Center where they know what they are doing.

With all respect, this information is in your manual and what I said is accurate. I am a professional and deal with this all the time. BS degree and many years experience. You are taking it to a Samsung Service Center so when you do and they tell you what I told you I hope you come back and give me the credit I deserve. Thank you.

I told you I am no longer interested in your services. I have decided to take the USB SSD DRIVE to an Authorized Samsung Repair facitity as I need it repaired ASAP. Thank you for trying, I cannot wait any longer since it is beyond the capability of anyone other than a Samsung trained technician according to Samsung Corporation whom I contacted a few hours ago.

Yes, that is true and that was basically what I mentioned to you. There is nothing we can do but to point you in the right direction in this case. The passwords to lock a HDD are encrypted in order to prevent someone from viewing your data without a password. If you forget the password ***** have to be the ones to get you back in. If it were easy to do yourself or a 3rd party could do it, it would defeat the purpose of having a password. I wish you luck and I hope it works out for you. To end our support I just need you to use the rating scale. A positive rating gives me credit for the time assisting you. Thank you.

Chris R.
Chris R.
Chris R., Computer Tech