Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

I have a Lenovo docking station that is plugged into two…

Hi - I have...

Hi - I have a Lenovo docking station that is plugged into two monitors and my laptop. Previously it's worked fine such that I've been able to use a dual monitor setup for my laptop. Now it's simply not working and nothing is appearing on the monitors. I tried restarting my laptop; unplugging and replugging in the usb cable to the laptop; and unplugging and replugging the monitor connections to the docking station. Any suggestions?

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Lenovo? And what operating system are you running?

The dockin station is a Lenovo Thinkpad DisplayLink Plug and Display and then the monitors are Lenovos as well - I don't know what the model number is. But the laptop is from Microsoft and I'm running the latest version of windows. Everything was working fine until today.

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

Noep

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?

Don't think so

Answered in 1 hour by:
8/19/2017
Dustin, Senior Technician

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Whats the full name brand and model of your docking station?

And whats the full name brand and model of your computer?

Thank you for your reply,
Dustin S.
Senior Technician and Former 31F1P ( Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer)

My laptop is a Microsoft SurfacePro
The docking station is a Lenovo ThinkPad USB 3.0 Pro Dock

Allright.. Is the power button lit on the dockl? If not, hit the power button and see if that helps.

If not, try unplugging the power cord, unplugging the power brick from the cord and then plugging it all back in. Does that change anything?

If not, we may need to consider that the power cord went bad, if we cant see any signs of power or life from the dock itself.

Try the above suggestions and let me know where we stand, thank you.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

now my screen is appearing on one of the external monitors but not the second one. This is what was happening before they both stopped working entirely. Turning the docking station on and off and unplugging and replugging it as you suggested made one of the monitors start working again, but I'm back to the original problem of the second one not working. I had previously tried unplugging and replugging the cord that attaches the second monitor to the docking station and that did not fix the problem. Additional thoughts?

I believe I can fix this, if you will allow me to connect and work on the issue directly. If Im successful, there would be a 25$ fee paid after the session.

If I cant fix the problem you would be entitled to a full refund of all fees. Would you like me to go ahead and connect and work the issue now?

Sure. Do I just click "Securely connect"?

Not yet.

Ok. Just let me know how to proceed.

To start the connection, please click this link

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=4c18d054-68c8-4ccd-bc6f-62347feeb59f

On the next page, scroll down and click the agree button.. It should then ask you to save or run the elsinore screen connect file. Run it, and then when it asks you to allow it, do so. That will connect us.

If you get stuck completing the above steps try them again, and if you still cant connect send a reply and let me know what web browser you are using, so I can give you specific steps on how to connect.

Dustin S

Dustin, Senior Technician