Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Don't get any power to my backup plus external drive. Mac…

Customer Question
Don't get any power...

Don't get any power to my backup plus external drive

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer do you have?

Mac mac

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

No

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Computer Hardware
8/19/2017
Computer technician: Christopher Bessler, Computer Engineer replied 10 months ago
Christopher Bessler
Christopher Bessler, Computer Engineer

What type of external drive is this? Is this a Seagate drive?

What is the model number, size, and type of connection?

Does the drive work with other computers?

Is it the type of external drive that has both a USB connection and a separate power cable? Or is it supposed to draw power through the USB connector?

Let me know, as there is a common problem that a USB 3.0 device is tyring to pull power through a non-powered USB 2.0 port on a computer, and people do not know why.

I'll be here.