Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Computer Hardware

I just purchased an external drive. How do I install it?

JA: How much experience do...
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: Just purchased it, none.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am new to this.
8/17/2017
david
david, Hardware Guru

I would be glad to help. To begin, can you tell me the Make and Model of the external drive?

Expansion portable by SEAGATE

Unfortunately remote assistance can't be used for this question since it requires the interaction of external hardware.

OK, what shall I do?

When you connect the drive do you see it being recognized on your computer?

Also, what operating system is on your computer?

No

Is this connected to a Windows or Macintosh computer?

Windows

OK, and what version of Windows do you have (XP, 7, 8, 10)?

windows 7

OK, and when the drive is connected do you see any lights activate on the drive itself?

I see a light. David, I have a meeting to attend. I will try and figure it out. Thanks

That's great to hear. The next step would be to use Windows Disk Management tool to format and make the drive recognized as a storage device on Windows.

With the drive connected, press Windows+R to bring up run prompt, and type diskmgmt.msc and hit enter. you should be able to recognize your external drive in the drive list by looking at the capacity column on the right

Once you are 100% certain which drive is your external drive you can right-click on it, and choose format. Then choose NTFS for the file system if you only plan to use the drive with this computer, or choose exFAT if is going to be used with other non-Windows computers or devices. Then hit OK.

If the drive has a drive letter assigned to it, you should be able to access it once the format completes. Just open up a file explorer window (where browse files) and go to "This PC" and you should see the external drive available along with your internal drives.

david
david, Hardware Guru
Kamil Anwar, Hardware Specialist

Please click the link below and run/open the downloaded program

https://www.fastsupport.com/878187338

Had to attend a meeting. I will get back to you.

Okay

david
david
david, Hardware Guru