Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

IPhone 5S just not turning on. Was fine yesterday--today…

IPhone 5S just not...

IPhone 5S just not turning on. Was fine yesterday--today just a blank screen, no response when plugged in to charger or attempt to turn on/off...has been like this all morning.

Technician's Assistant: What kind of computer do you have?

Apple iPhone 5S

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

No--but have been told to update, just haven't done it

8/12/2017
Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin, Support Technician

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

What troubleshooting have you done so far?

Make sure it is charged, regardless of if it is showing active for now.

Then brute force shut it down. Try this a couple times. If this works and wakes it up, we need to update your os on the phone too.

Reset your phone if the device does not respond to a power-off procedure. Hold down the "On/Off" button and the home button on your iPhone at the same time. Continue to hold down both buttons until the Apple logo appears on your phone and it reboots.

Then respond back when done with results.

Couldn't do Power-off 'cos nothing on screen, just did reset and now have screen action with message "Carrier settings update"--this is the one I have ignored recently. Should I update that?

Absolutely. This will hinder you in the future if you do not update.

Let it update for now. What do you mean by reset?

Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin, Support Technician
OK, phone is now plugged in to charger, has low battery (which I couldn't see before) and I hit the update button but nothing happening--no update screen
oh, went into systems and update is downloading. It is iOS 10.3.3--should that resolve the problem once update is finished?
don't think I need remote assistance now--will see if update works and phone stays on. Reset was hitting on/off and home button simultaneously. Just waiting for update to finish downloading now

Yes, this should resolve your issue, but you really should back up your tablet

in itunes, icloud or something of that nature. That way, if the tablet keeps crashing,

you will have all your info stored. Would you like for me to send you this or use the

remote request you asked for to help you through that part?

I wouldnt do much until it is fully charged again. Your processes are getting stuck

due to not being able to have updates to support the software. That brute force shut

down i sent you will usually 'shock' it awake if it happens.

I do regularly back up in iTunes so that is OK, no need to do the remote access--will do it again as soon as update is finished. Makes sense that processes need the new OS so hopefully problem will be resolved.Thank you for your help-I will call back if it doesn't work once charged and updated. Thank you!

Perfect! I will put in for a refund for your remote and just leave the written value.

You can always update me if you need further help with this issue.

Have a great day.