Computer Hardware

Ask Computer Hardware Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Computer Hardware

Bought a new seagate 8tb external drive to back up my three…

Bought a new seagate...

Bought a new seagate 8tb external drive to back up my three computers but it won't maintain connection with the pc during backup. It drops off around 10 to 12 minutes and then reconnects but by then the backup has failed or shows completed with errors. I've tried different backup programs, turning off all power saving settings in my Windows 10 and Windows 7 pc. I even tried to use a different USB 3.0 controller but with no effect. Please advise.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make and model of your computer? Have you had problems with the USB port in the past?

No problems with USB 3.0 connection to lesser sized external drives in the past. Computers are two ASUS laptops and my homebuilt PC with an MSI motherboard.

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

Always install the Microsoft updates. Otherwise, no new software.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?

Don't know what I don't know.:-)

8/9/2017
Ryan-CTech
Ryan-CTech, Computer Enthusiast

Hi there :) Sorry to hear your Backup Drive is not working properly. In order to better serve you and give you a great answer I have a few questions.

1. is it a powered 8tb unit?

2. When you say it powers down..do the lights go off?

I await your reply :)

Sorry I wasn't watching my email, I was watching the chat page. Yes, it is a powered drive. I can't remember if the light goes out at the moment of failure because its flashing indicating data movement and is apparently disconnected for just a second or two.
Hi Ryan,
Did you get my response? Sorry I didn't respond sooner.

No worries :)

If the lights go out and come back on it could be a couple of things. A bad power supply or USB cable. It could also be thermo-loading. That is where it gets hot and performs poorly or shuts down. My recommendation is to change the USB cable. If that does not work return the unit to where you got it and request a new one. We can rule out your PC and the USB port due to the facts you provided. And the fact that it connects to other PCs.

Thanks Ryan. I didn't think about the cable. I used the new one sent with the drive but long ago I learned that new cables aren't necessarily good cables. Don't know why I didn't think of that this time. I'll get a new one right away.
I'm still within the 30 day return window for Amazon so that'll let me send it back if this doesn't work.
Thanks for your help.

I hope this has helped answer your question. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions regarding this as you need until you are satisfied :)

I am always here to help. With that being said, A positive rating helps me as an expert. Only Rate when you are ready :)

You are very welcome!

Ryan-CTech
Ryan-CTech, Computer Enthusiast
I will do that. Bye for now.

Yes sir, I would send it back if the new cable doesn't help :) See ya!

Ryan-CTech
Ryan-CTech
Ryan-CTech, Computer Enthusiast